Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Extrude shortcomings?

Hi,

New to Xara Xtreme and have some basic questions about the extrude:

1. Seems that if I create an object with no fill (e.g. an empty ellipse), and extrude it, this actually creates a 3D object filled with grey colour, not the pipe-like 3D object I was expecting as the result. Seems really odd that this would not be possible, am I just incompetent?

2. If I extrude something, then change it back into editable object, and then go back into extrusion, I don't go back to the extruded shape I had before. Is this something I do wrong or is it somehow that the SW is not "true 3D" and is not able to cope with this scenario?

Really appreciate any answers on these

-Rami

Default Re: Extrude shortcomings?

Hi welcome to TG

the extrude in xtreme is not a true 3D shape - it is a vector outline with a manipulatable fill that gives a 3D 'effect'

if you convert it to editable shape you 'flatten' that vector outline and fill - if you then go back to the extrude tool you are applying a new extrusion to that flattened shape
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, that's what I presumed after experimenting a couple of times. we'll, back to the drawing board

1. The extrude tool only extrudes shapes and not lines. By drawing an ellipse and making it transparent with a thick line will only create an ellipse. to create a 'pipe' you will have to [convert line to shape].

2. Why do you want to convert an extrusion to an 'editable shape'?
    True love is the ultimate truth

If you wish to edit a 3D object turn off the 3D by clicking the 3D button on the infobar. If you click the 3D button on the infobar, it will temporarily remove the extrude. You can then edit the object, and click the 3D button again to reapply the previous extrude - No matter how complex - No additional settings are required.

if you want a pipe, make a circle, add a smaller circle over the top and subtract them. You then have a circular shape with no inside. That can be extruded into a pipe with the extrude tool.

As mentioned earlier it extrudes a shape only - you just have to make the right shape. If you use a font that has a circular "O" then that will extrude as a pipe.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 26 October 2008 at 05:41 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Here is the method I use.

I see that keith beat me to it while I was drawing circles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe extrude.png 
Views:	275 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	53188  
    Last edited by angelize; 26 October 2008 at 06:57 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I think you'd better stick to the convert line to shape approach.
    This way you can use different(maybe preset) type of lines,without
    adjusting the shape afterwards.

Hans

Name:	ExtrudedLine.png 
Views:	280 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	53189  

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Both methods have advantages, the slicing can be used with different objects to produce some interesting extrudes

Check out this thread to see some of the imaginative this talkgraphics members have done with extrudes. http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...light=extrudes

Name:	2extrusions.png 
Views:	263 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	53196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red extrude.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	53197  

Last edited by angelize; 26 October 2008 at 08:03 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Both methods have advantages, the slicing can be used with different objects to produce some interesting extrudes

Check out this thread to see some of the imaginative this talkgraphics members have done with extrudes. http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...light=extrudes
    OK, so judging from your answers both things actually can be made to work just fine: Editing that extruded object as instructed above worked for me, and not being able to create the pipe was jsut due to my incompetence (the answer, as usual, was obvious whan I now think about it...)

Many thanks!!!

You're very welcome.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.