Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Not-so-smart quotes

Can we have a configuration option to turn off the plague of auto-replaced 'smart' quotes please? The well-known 'guessing' algorithm in use here often makes mistakes, and indeed in many cases I actually want a 'normal' sexless apostrophe/quote.

Since I have a keyboard that is perfectly capable of typing straight-or-smart quotes directly, I don't appreciate Xtreme going all Word on me and mangling what I type, thinking it knows better. Are there any other replacements being done behind my back?

Default Re: Not-so-smart quotes

Bob,

I don't remember Xara doing any smart quote replacement. Can you give an example so I know what I'm looking for?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Open Text tool and type:

Code:
    "Do you like fish 'n' chips?" ("Yes.")
    The first single quote mark on 'n' and the first double quote on 'Yes' turn to point in the 'wrong' direction, leaving (if the forum will let me post the characters):

Code:
    “Do you like fish ‘n’ chips?” (”Yes.”)
    (The behaviour with the bracket could be improved, but in general it's not possible to guess the 'right' smart-quote behaviour all the time.)
    Last edited by BobInce; 02 September 2008 at 05:17 PM.

Hi Bob

you can turn smart quotes off in the registry [XtremePro > Options > TextTool change UseSmartQuotes from 1 to 0
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Bob, I'd never noticed that behavior. Obviously everthing I've done was smart enough, because that particular example would drive me crazy.

Agreed - Not too smart quotes.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.