Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Xara 3D and Photoshop Extended

After months and months of searching for an easy to use 3d application alas i found xara 3d it's very light and does what i exactly i want, 3d text!
    if i only found this earlier..

..but after a few minutes of playing with this now i want to open the .x3d file in photoshop but it says "could not complete your request because of a program error."

why? whats wrong? i dont have trouble opening .obj files before.. help me please this program will really be helpful with me and will save me some time!

Default Re: Xara 3D and Photoshop Extended

xara 3D does not save in obj format

.x3d format is completely different
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hello Kerco,

What is it you want to do in Photoshop?

If you export your Xara3D creation as a jpg, gif, or png you can open it in Photoshop.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

If it's 3D text you want to create, then Xara Xtreme 4* has an extrude tool that I find a lot easier to use for this pupose.
    It doesn't animate as easily or as well as Xara 3D, but for flexibility and ease of use it's my preference.
    There are lots posted on these forums, a search for extrude or extrusion will get you started.
    But as with Xara 3D it won't import into Photoshop as a vector object, but only as a bitmap. The same applies to importing into Coreldraw.
    * 30 day full trial available here.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

ok thanks.. i get it so photoshop doesnt handle xara 3d formats?

xara 3D does not save in obj format

.x3d format is completely different
    i thought photoshop can handle .x3d as well because it can handle lots of 3d formats.

If it's 3D text you want to create, then Xara Xtreme 4* has an extrude tool that I find a lot easier to use for this pupose.
    It doesn't animate as easily or as well as Xara 3D, but for flexibility and ease of use it's my preference.
    There are lots posted on these forums, a search for extrude or extrusion will get you started.
    But as with Xara 3D it won't import into Photoshop as a vector object, but only as a bitmap. The same applies to importing into Coreldraw.
    * 30 day full trial available here.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    i dont need the animation part i just need to extrude text easily.. ill check this one out..

let us know if you need any help along the way

[photoshop does not support .x3D or .xar file types no, sorry]
    Nothing lasts forever...

no plugin? Xara 3d would be perfect if it had photoshop support..
    i wish i just have time to learn 3d programs like 3ds max but for now simple 3d will do..

so i have to position it then export it via png for transparency or jpg? oh well thanks anyways guys.. ill see what this thing can do before trial ends..

Kerco if you would tell us what you are doing in Photoshop with the image we could answer your questions with more specific answers.

I use true 3D applications like Cinema 4D, Maya, TrueSpace, etc. and have no need to Photoshop the images. The same is true with the output from Xara3D6 and Xara Xtreme.

Xara3D6 is not a 3D application in the same sense as 3DS Max or the programs I have mentioned. It's native .x3d file is not any type of 3D file format. It creates a simple text file stating the settings used and an embedded gif image for a thumbnail.

So to use any of Photoshops manipulations you would need to export a png, gif, or jpg.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

from xara 3d you can export bitmaps as .bmp .png or .jpg
    xara xtreme has a wider choice - including [depending which version you have] .pdf which may do what you want

I would not use .jpg [jpeg] as this is a lossy format even at highest quality setting

edit: - like Bill says it would help if we knew what it was you were attempting...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Unhappy Re: Xara 3D and Photoshop Extended

i cannot export to still images!! the program becomes unresponsive..