Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Saving as:bug?

Default Saving as:bug?

I think this is a multi-version thing.

I open a file from the camera (jpg). I work on it. I save as pspimage.

Then I do a lot of work and save as jpg.

Now I am pretty sure that if I save as jpg, then as usual I am working with the new file (jpg)

BUT, if I use the jpeg Optimiser, and save using that, I seem to keep working with the pspinage, which I don't want to do, because it's not "standard".

Anyone else comment on this?

Thanks for help.

I am actually starting to post answers here, and not just ask.

Nick
    IP

Default Re: Saving as:bug?

is the difference that the optimiser is really exporting rather than saving?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

When you save the JPEG from the optimiser it creates a jpeg and saves it it does not close the working image and reopen the Jpeg. The open image is as was so still a Raster bitmap but when last saved was a PSP image so at the end of any changes you would be asked if you which to save the something.pspimage unless you use save as or save copy.
    IP

That's actually a smarter feature of PSP than one would think.
    You should only save as a .jpg file after all work has been done, since every time you re-save a .jpg it gets compressed, which means that it loses quality.
    So what PSP does is it saves a copy in the optimized format (with a set compression value) and lets you work on the still open, non-compressed one.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by coningham View Post
    That's actually a smarter feature of PSP than one would think.
    You should only save as a .jpg file after all work has been done, since every time you re-save a .jpg it gets compressed, which means that it loses quality.
    So what PSP does is it saves a copy in the optimized format (with a set compression value) and lets you work on the still open, non-compressed one.
    Thanks for the replies.

OK. Yes. I usually work like that, for that reason. But if I _don't_ use the optimiser, I _do_ get the jpeg, so it seems incomsistant.

If I save to jpg without the Optimiser, having worked with a pspimage, then I am presented with the jpg, not the pspimage. And even if I do not use the optimiser, each change and save will still cause degradation, or so I understand it.

The reason I would want the jpeg is for instance if I was posting to the web. My image size is way too big, so all I want to do is resize and save the smaller version. So I save without resizing, from pspimage to jpg using the optimiser (out of habit) and I am still working with the pspimage....resize and save and bam! there goes my pspimage.

Anyway I know it's there, so I will work with it. I was just interested in the thoughts behind it.

Nick
    IP