Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
The reason MS controls 90+% of the browsers is that 70+% of the folks using it couldn't find the answer the following question.

Please select your browser?
This is getting a tad OT me thinks.

90%+ seems a bit generous nowdays. Current usage is cited as from Net Applications:

Internet Explorer (73.81%)
Mozilla Firefox (18.43%)
Safari (6.14%)
Opera (0.71%)
Netscape (0.62%)
Other (0.29%)

or from W3Counter;

Internet Explorer (61.43%)
Mozilla Firefox (29.02%)
Safari (2.02%)
Opera (1.13%)2
Other (6.4%)

They are huge differences, so who really knows the real figures?

None the less in my work most standard users have no idea what a 'browser' is. They simply call it the 'Internet' as that's what the blue 'picture' (what's an icon??) on the desktop says.

If I were to ask them to open their web 'browser' and they have no idea what I mean, tell them to open the 'internet' and they are fine.

I also find that most standard users actually do update IE because they always say 'yes' to prompts that tell them they need to install new Windows updates. More and more XP based PC's are coming in to me which now have IE7 as the default web browser ( "because Microsoft told me I needed to update so I pushed yes". )

You can only do so much when creating a site, if it works equally in the three top browsers, then leave it at that. You can't write for last century browsers and keep your clients business site looking modern & up-to-the-minute at the same time.. well I couldn't/wouldn't.