Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Color picker behavior suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    What would also be terrific is a keyboard shortcut to toggle the color picker. Adobe uses the Alt key to toggle the color picker when certain tools are selected. This would be a tremendous time saver over having to drop all the way to the bottom of the page each time you want to sample a color.
    Great Idea!

But the way Xara works The alt/shift/ctrl modifiers have all different uses depending of the command in process.

Maybe a dedicated keystroke, (like "y" for instance) could trigger the eyedropper until the user releases the key.

Regards,

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    This would be a tremendous time saver over having to drop all the way to the bottom of the page each time you want to sample a color.
    The eyedropper on the color bar is way too far out of the way — especially on a large monitor at high res. An alternative is to leave the Color Editor open and use the eyedropper on the panel. You can park the panel just about anywhere, so it's much more convenient.

or have eyedropper icon/command available on the Button Palette that could be put into a user defined toolbar (aka Controlbar) which then could be floated anywhere on the screen.
    Last edited by jclements; 18 July 2008 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    I, for one, am glad to see the new colour editor behaviour.

Since the last patch/update, if you have a line selected then the colour editor will default to line colour, but with a closed shape it defaults to fill colour. Much better Xara, thanks.
    Wow. I didn't realize that. Thanks for that update, Xara, and thanks MarkMyWords for bringing that to my attention.
    -=Bob=-

Yes, I whined about this several times and Xara changed it! Though I'd like to think I had that kind of influence, it was probably not because of me. It works well though and is a good little tweak. Though it saves me just a couple of seconds each time, multiply that by the hundreds of times I had to use that damn dropdown and it is a significant improvement to my workflow, well done Xara. So, to those who worry that changes will destroy Xtreme as we know it, things can be improved without 'ruining' the software.

I think that productivity is improved everytime the software takes unnecessary mouse-clicks or cursor movement out of the equation. Even seemingly minor operations like changing from line to fill colour, when repeated often enough, can add up to a significant part of the workflow. Of course by combining functions and making more and more operations 'one-click', you will often be adding more controls and commands, this is the 'bloat' so many here fear. So Xara have to play a delicate balancing act between removing unnecessary steps and avoiding adding ever more functions, buttons and menu commands. This on top of their technical, financial and time constraints is certainly not a job to be envied. that doesn't mean I'm going to stop whining about things though LOL! Next thing to work on is a quicker and more elegant way of changing line width, that damn dropdown...
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 18 July 2008 at 02:39 PM.