Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: PDF Text Import

Default PDF Text Import

It's not really a problem, but it can be a bit of nuisance.

If I import a PDF into Extreme Pro 4, everything comes in pretty sweetly, but the text often doesn't look exactly like the text in the PDF, so it needs a bit of playing with to rearrange it and make it look right.

I've noticed that the text seems to contain characters (or something) that I can't see, so if I use the Text tool and click onto the text, then use the arrow keys to move from left to right in the text, I have to press the key twice to move from one character to the next, as if there is some invisible character there with no apparent space on which the cursor now rests. The only thing that seems to change is the value in the Kerning / EMS box which changes from 0 to -3 when it rests on this invisible "thing".

Does anyone know how to get rid of all these invisible "things"? I've tried copy and paste, but they are still present. I can delete them one by one, but that's pretty long winded.

I've attached a small PDF file which should show the problem if imported into Extreme Pro 4.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: pdf 5.pdf (7.4 KB, 174 views)

Default Re: PDF Text Import

Sorry Paul no way around this problem, because this PDF file was made as a table and there is no way that Xara can cope with this data, as you can see it contains extra info to construct the table.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I tried importing the PDF into Illustrator, where the effect doesn't occur. I then copied some of the text into another drawing on its own and saved it as editable PDF. I imported this into XXPro The same effect occurred.
    I then created a new AI drawing and put my own type into it and saved as PDF and imported it.
    The same effect occurs sometimes, but not between all letters.
    Tony

This may help you as I went into Illy and converted text into shapes and then saved your file. Then took it into Xara to see if it was OK, yes no problems and least you have no extra data. The reason that I think AI can handle table that it does have the ability to use spread sheet data in table form but I am no expert just a user.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: xar 5.xar (143.4 KB, 143 views)
    Design is thinking made visual.