Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Sp3 Install Problem

Downloaded SP3 from MS site this evening. Didn't work but tried again with AV/AS/Firewall disabled. Worked, except when rebooting it blue-screened (too quick to read screen) just after windows splash screen and looped. Got into safe mode and as you can see below, SP3 has installed. I just can't get Windows to open normally.

I've now restored SP2 successfully to a point I made prior to download.

Q1 What went wrong? Any ideas?

Q2 Should I bother at all [PCHELL.COM says SP3 comes with IE6!]? I keep the PC up to date security wise but SP3 is being pushed from next month apparently, will I just have the same problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sp3_SAFE_MODE.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	48806  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Default Re: Sp3 Install Problem

could try un-installing your video drivers before you install SP3, it might help -but its only a suggestion no guarantees - make sure you have downloaded video drivers first so you can reinstall them afterwards

SP3 may come with IE6 - but it will not install this if you have IE7 already installed - its simply there as an option for those that what to stick with it, [as I understand things].
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

That's it you see Steve, I'm in doubt as to whether SP3 is worth the hassle ... and worry while waiting for installation/restoring processes shudder on for hours. All I can gather is that it installs all past updates - which I've got - and adds a couple of things which MS aren't too forthcoming about but which might disable programs I've got.

Thanks for response though
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Default Just for info re: IE in SP3

This is what pchell.com says about IE6/IE7

Windows XP Service Pack 3 ships with Internet Explorer 6 and contains a roll-up of various security updates. If you have IE6 on your computer, you can safely install Service Pack 3 and then end up with an updated version of IE6 and all your preferences intact.

If you have Internet Explorer 7 currently installed, all your preferences and settings will be retained. However the ability to uninstall IE7 will be taken away. Since an uninstall requires a rollback to a previous version that has since been updated with SP3, this option will no longer be available. If you must uninstall IE7 at this point, you would have to first uninstall service pack 3, then proceed to uninstall IE7. To get around this issue, uninstall IE7 first, then install Service Pack 3, and finally reinstall Internet Explorer 7.

If you are running IE 8 Beta, you should UNINSTALL IT FIRST, then install Service Pack 3. After the service pack is successfully install, you can upgrade to the latest beta version of IE8.

Don't understand any explanations for anything on MS site

which couple of things might they be - not noticed any problems with my programs so far..?

If you have IE7 and you intend sticking with IE7 you don't need to worry about that side of things
    Nothing lasts forever...

From all that I have read about this (not here) the update does NOT include IE6, only updates for IE6. (And it certainly does not include 7.)
    -=Bob=-

Me being pessimistic I suppose All OK on my PC at the moment, so have visions of various programs not being SP3 compatible: I use FF 99% of the time so IE business not really a concern per se, but Windows updates do tend to produce pop-up errors when subsequently opening from desktop links in FF, which I've got the work around for but which may not be accepted after SP3.

Good to hear that you have no problems with it, that's the kind of feedback that reassures.

I haven't had a single problem with it and have been using the early release candidate for a while.
    -=Bob=-

several ffox addons you can use for setting specific pages to open in IE rather than the fox - I use IE view - not had a problem with that so far

there were a few problems with the RC2 version of SP3 [my nvidia drivers being one]- but they seem to have been sorted
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think it all depends on who's reviews/reports you are reading.

This is what Microsoft themselves have to say about their XP SP3;

What Is In Service Pack 3
    Windows XP SP3 includes all previously released Windows XP updates, including security updates and
    hotfixes, and select out-of-band releases. For example, the service pack includes functionality previously
    released as updates, such as the Microsoft® Management Console (MMC) 3.0 and the Microsoft Core XML
    Services 6.0 (MSXML6).
    Microsoft is not adding significant functionality from newer versions of Windows, such as Windows Vista, to
    Windows XP through XP SP3. For instance, Windows XP SP3 does not include Windows Internet Explorer 7,
    although Windows XP SP3 does include updates to both Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7, and it
    will update whichever version is installed on the computer. For more information about Internet Explorer 7,
    visit http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e/default.mspx.
    One notable exception is that, SP3 does include Network Access Protection (NAP) to help organizations that
    use Windows XP to take advantage of new features in the Windows Server® 2008 operating system.
    Knowledge Base article 936929 lists all other all Knowledge Base articles associated with updates that are
    included in Windows XP SP3. The following sections also provide a high-level description of the functionality
    included in Windows XP SP3.
    and;

Summary
    Windows XP SP3 combines all previously released performance, security, and stability updates. It also
    provides a limited number of new and enhanced functionalities, although it does not significantly change the
    Windows XP experience or bring functionality from newer versions of Windows to Windows XP. The goals of
    Windows XP SP3 are to:
     Provide a new baseline for customers still deploying Windows XP, to help them avoid the inconvenience
    of applying individual updates.
     Fill gaps in the updates users might have missed by declining individual updates when using Automatic
    Updates, and to deliver updates not made available through Windows Update.
    Windows Vista provides the most advanced security and management capability, but for PCs that cannot be
    upgraded to Windows Vista right now, Windows XP SP3 ensures these PCs have all available updates and
    allows these PCs to leverage some new Windows Server 2008 capabilities, such as Network Access
    Protection (NAP).
    Basically if you have already have all critical Windows security updates installed, already have some form of Network Access Security in place, then it appears that the average Home user will not see any benefits from installing SP3 at all.
    Most importantly (and I see this all the time) If your machine is not completely free of spyware or viruses, updating to SP3 can fail and render your system unable to boot into Windows at all (this was also a caveat with SP2 updates).
    As MS point out above SP3 '..does not significantly change the Windows XP experience or bring functionality from newer versions of Windows to Windows XP'