Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

Unhappy Re: No Synthetic BOLD in Extreme Pro - I need two Xara versions!

While were on the subject.

If the font highlighted in Xpro is Zapf & you use the pull down. It always defaults to A & you have to scroll down - annoying. Shouldn't the pull down auto scroll to the selected font? Common sense say's it should.

The Xara Programers did this nice work with the font pull down only to stop short of something truly spectacular. If only the Font Gallery worked like the pull down...
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

Default Re: No Synthetic BOLD in Extreme Pro - I need two Xara versions!

Quote Originally Posted by wW View Post
    If the font highlighted in Xpro is Zapf & you use the pull down. It always defaults to A & you have to scroll down - annoying. Shouldn't the pull down auto scroll to the selected font? Common sense say's it should.
    I´m unsure if i understand what you said but when you highlight a word or a paragraph, wathever in Xara, the drop down list shows the font used and picks it at the top of the list (in the used document fonts area).
    Where´s the problem? Maybe i´m missing something here...

Correct for me too.
    Selecting a line of text in Xtreme 4 automatically shows the selected font face in the dropdown menu.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by wW View Post
    While were on the subject.

Yes, definitely, and in principle, this is how it works, but we also introduced the "used fonts" section at the top, so if the font is in there (which it usually is), then the list scrolls to the entry in the top section, not to the main entry down the list.

It took a lot of experiments to get the font dropdown to its current state and I think most of it is pretty much as good as it can get but the initial scroll position is one thing I am still unhappy with. Partly, this is caused by Windows limitations. It proved impossible to open the list fully at the top while not displaying the topmost item in the field. Opening at the top would at least enable you to see the complete "used fonts" section. Now, you always see half of it (from the selected font downwards).

Still, I thought this would be more useful than opening the list at the font's entry in the main list because I thought that users would be most interested in the "used fonts" section rather than the other fonts with similar names. The main reason for wanting the font menu to open scrolled to the actual font would be to get access to its variants, but you get that from the top entry as well - except of course for fonts that come as several families. So, I cannot think of a good solution really. Maybe I could add a hidden option to always open the font menu scrolled to the main entry instead of that in the "used fonts" section. Would that improve things for you?

Martin (Xtreme text developer)

Quote Originally Posted by wuerthne View Post
    So, I cannot think of a good solution really. Maybe I could add a hidden option to always open the font menu scrolled to the main entry instead of that in the "used fonts" section. Would that improve things for you?

Martin (Xtreme text developer)
    I see your problem from a developers perspective, but I don't think it should be a hidden option. Sometimes being in the used font section is what is needed, other times, like when you want to audition what font to use in a document, you want to return where you left off in the main font list.

How about using the Home and End keys? Home to go to the top of the used fonts and End to go in the main list for the last used font. (And maybe End press twice to go to the bottom of the main font list.)
    Last edited by Robert H; 14 May 2008 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
    How about using the Home and End keys? Home to go to the top of the used fonts and End to go in the main list for the last used font. (And maybe End press twice to go to the bottom of the main font list.)
    Home and End do go to the first/last entry in the overall list, so at least Home does what you suggested. We should not really redefine End to mean anything else than it usually does in a dropdown list (go to the very last entry), but maybe we can use some other keystroke to go to the current entry in the main list. That should not be too difficult.

Martin

How about a-z to go to the relevant alphabetical sections - Oh yeah, It already does that. Doesn't that get you near enough to scroll a bit? Page down and page up, Oh yeah, they work too.

I must admit, perhaps I'm being a bit dense, but I can't see the problem. If you use 25 fonts in a document they are shown at the top and aren't too hard to navigate.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 15 May 2008 at 05:21 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.