Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Does anyone know if there is a function key strip available for XaraX?
    I can print out a crib sheet from the help file but it’s nice to have a strip fixed above function keys.
    I thought I’d ask here before I waste time “re-inventing the wheel”
    P.S. Funky graphics welcome, in 3D perhaps?

Does anyone know if there is a function key strip available for XaraX?
    I can print out a crib sheet from the help file but it’s nice to have a strip fixed above function keys.
    I thought I’d ask here before I waste time “re-inventing the wheel”
    P.S. Funky graphics welcome, in 3D perhaps?

Attached is my attempt to produce a function key strip for XaraX (based on the one supplied with the Vutrax CAD package)
    I can find no references in the help pages for Shift F1 or the Ctrl key with F1, F5, F6, F9-F12, but I recall reading on this forum that someone has customised these spare Fn keys, although how to, is not documented in the Help pages. (Illumination please)
    I have discovered that Ctrl F4 produces a fresh start, clearing the current drawing. Ouch!!. I’m not altogether happy with my hastily drawn button, and suspect Xara themselves my not be too pleased in my labelling it….. !NUKE!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I use CTRL+F4 quite a lot, it's a Windows shortcut key rather than a Xara specific one I think.

It works in a similar way to ALT+F4. ALT+F4 closes the current window, be it an application, an email, a Windows Explorer view or any other type of window.

CTRL+F4 closes a current window when it is INSIDE a parent window - for example, a document open in Xara, Photoshop, Fireworks etc.

I think it is the same for any program which opens windows within itself to show documents. This would give a program with just ONE button on the taskbar - just like Xara does, but then there can be lots of windows inside it. Word 97 used to do this, playing by the rules, but Word 2000 has kind of messed that up, and opens new windows for each document.

In Xara, you can CTRL+TAB to cycle through the open windows, just as you can ALT+TAB to cycle through the open applications.

Nice overlay - I think someone posted a .web version of the Xara X logo a while back which might make for a slightly cleaner look.

Gary has taken the time to draw excellent vector versions of the toolbar buttons for his tutorials, but I reckon you'll have to fight past his army of animals before he gives them away !!

Attached is the keyboard layout I used for testing some features in Xara X. Although it is not quite what you asked for, I am sure someone will have a use for it. I created it a while ago, so if you see any mistakes (or if you make any improvements), please email me so I can post an updated version.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the tip on getting the logo Daniel; it can be still obtained on page seven of this forum titled:
    "Can I have the official logo of XARA X in xar format??"
    started by: "spyro70"
    dated: "08-20-00 02:45 PM"

What a strange way you yanks use date notation.
    It’s nice to see colour spelt properly in Xara.
    Perhaps when this forum moves "over the pond", the date and time stamps will become GMT/BST

Anyone out there working on a tutorial for programming the Fn keys?

Hi, Attached is a bitmap version of my keyboard layout (I have already posted the .xar file). The .xar file also includes a few other bits and pieces like the numeric keypad and the mouse wheel controls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaraKeyboard.png 
Views:	521 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	3643  

I realize this is a bit off-topic about the keyboard and the Ctrl+F4 shortcut, and I am by no means am I a huge Microsoft advocate, but I believe Office 2000 stopped using daughter windows so it could be consistent with IE, which does not use them. They wanted to be consistent and not confuse newbies. Fair is fair, they could be doing worse things (the paperclip for example).

Don't try printing Jonathan's keyboard; on our HP colour laser, 11k of Xara file turned into >300MB!
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Jonathan,

you forgot the space key, it toggles between the selector tool and the last used tool ..