Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Default Re: Show Us Your Website!

Hi smoke133 and welcome. I would be a bit concerned about the image file size on your site. By default XXP uses png's which can be far larger than jpg's.

I would recommend that you duplicate your site but change all the images to jpg and compare the relative file sizes.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Show Us Your Xtreme 4 created Website!

Hi smoke133 and welcome to TG.

I have to agree with Egg about your images.
    The easiest way to make sure your images are exported as JPG when the site (first page in your case) is exported as HTML it to name them via the 'create new name' button on the info bar. This ensure the image is exported as .jpg (25% compression).

My other critisicm is the site is basically very ugly.
    There seems to be no overall theme or design to it. Nothing fits or compliments. It's a mish-mash of ideas which together form an impression of cheap'n'hurried. I wouldn't stop long enough to check products and prices.
    Sorry to be harsh - but that's the view of one visitor

Quote Originally Posted by smoke133 View Post
    I've created my front page with xara. I have to fix the rest of my site now to match it. Great program. http://www.jhelectronics.com
    Three comments. Your menu on the left changes the button functions between the Home and Affiliates pages. That is not good because it confuses users. Consistency is good.

There is no Alt text and no Titles on the home page. Without any Alt text or Titles, your page will be invisible to search engines because there is no text on the page.

As Egg and Steve noted, the file sizes are big. To get an idea on web page optimization for loading pages, see this site. The site will analyze a web page and display downloading times at various connection speeds.
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

This ensure the image is exported as .jpg (25% compression).
    What a nasty typo.
    John.

Ensures

Unless you are referring to 25% compression, which is no typo.
    75% refers to ' save quality' not compression.
    So 75% save quality = 25% compression

you are referring to 25% compression,
    Yes, I do.
    So 75% save quality = 25% compression
    You mean you subtract JPEG quality from 100 and get what you call compression?
    I should admit, I'm too dumb to get it from the start.
    So if it's not a typo, it's confusing enough to confuse at least me.
    John.

Thank you for all the feed back.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Hi smoke133 and welcome to TG.

I have to agree with Egg about your images.
    The easiest way to make sure your images are exported as JPG when the site (first page in your case) is exported as HTML it to name them via the 'create new name' button on the info bar. This ensure the image is exported as .jpg (25% compression).

My other critisicm is the site is basically very ugly.
    There seems to be no overall theme or design to it. Nothing fits or compliments. It's a mish-mash of ideas which together form an impression of cheap'n'hurried. I wouldn't stop long enough to check products and prices.
    Sorry to be harsh - but that's the view of one visitor
    I know that the page does not match the rest of the website. I was just looking for an opinion on the one page. I'm working on the store area to match the store front. What do you think of the page that I created in xara. Is it worth my time to change the rest of my store to match this page? I working on changing the image sizes. Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't know how to export the images as anything else. I was just hitting the html export.

Quote Originally Posted by PatentGuy View Post
    Three comments. Your menu on the left changes the button functions between the Home and Affiliates pages. That is not good because it confuses users. Consistency is good.

There is no Alt text and no Titles on the home page. Without any Alt text or Titles, your page will be invisible to search engines because there is no text on the page.
    I'll fix these two thing's too.

I have moved the web page to [link removed] until I fix all of the problems. Thank you again for all of the feed back.
    Last edited by remi; 13 October 2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: link removed

smoke133. One thing I find confusing about your page is you're stating it's created in XXP. Normally XXP generated sites have the following in the code:
    <meta name="Generator" content="Xara HTML filter v.1.0......"/>
    I note that your page doesn't have this. Is there a reason?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

How do you save the images as a .jpg? I've tried exporting the images to .jpg, but when I export the html, it saves all of the images still as .png's. Where do I change it to save as .jpg's?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    smoke133. One thing I find confusing about your page is you're stating it's created in XXP. Normally XXP generated sites have the following in the code:

I note that your page doesn't have this. Is there a reason?
    I had copied the top of my old page so I didn't have to retype all of the keyword's and add the the google coding again. I deleted the "<meta name="Generator" content="Xara HTML filter v.1.0......"/>" by mistake.