Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Multi page guides request

I have just done a 12 page storyboard and find I need some extra guides in the same place on every page. The standard guides only work on on page at a time and can't be cut and pasted. As a feature request could I ask for guided that can appear on every page of a multi page document.

Default Re: Multi page guides request

Hi,

Apply the guides before making new pages
    then duplicate page,this way the guides will be in the same place

Hans

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Set up one page with your guides or guidelines, then duplicate that page.

you beat me to it hans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Set up one page with your guides or guidelines, then duplicate that page.

you beat me to it hans.
    Thanks, Hans, Angelize. That solution worked for me too. I'd really like a feature where I could go to a page definition settings dialog where I could select multiple pages and apply the same settings to, such as guides or guidelines.

Hi Squeaky

if you mean add extra guide lines when you are part way through, something you are almost certain to want to do sooner or later in sequential/storyboard art, I'm with you

worth putting in Dear Xara to get their attention

EDIT - just seen this is an older thread - Russel, the same applies, worth mentioning in Dear Xara forum
    Last edited by handrawn; 23 November 2010 at 08:40 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Do you people not use templates? Guides can be anything so long as it is drawn in the Guides Layer, they don't need to be pulled off the Rulers. If you you use Angelize method of Duplicating Pages it is sorted. I would agree with the suggestion of making a plea in Dear Xara! Just noticed that Steve is now a moderator ooooooo....oh.
    Design is thinking made visual.

a position that gives you more butons to press and little else.. [but you know this]

the point about a storyboard, for me, is that it evolves - in a sense it is the template itself for sequential art

you don't know all the guides you are going to need when you start - you regularly end up needing to backdate them into existing pages to cover new developments in the sequence that need to be carried back
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you don't know all the guides you are going to need when you start - you regularly end up needing to backdate them into existing pages to cover new developments in the sequence that need to be carried back
    Right. Albacore gives you a way to do it.

Create a new page ("New Guides").
    Draw what you want to use as guides on that page.
    If desired, delete existing guides from other pages. (That can be as easy as deleting the Guides layer, then rightclicking to create a new one.)
    Copy the new guides from the New Guides page.
    Paste them into the Guides layer on each of the other pages. Voila!

It almost takes more time to describe the process than to do it. So long as the guides you've drawn are not pulled from the ruler, you can copy & paste them to any other page or layer. The other great benefit to doing it this way is that you're not restricted to the lines you've pulled off the ruler. You can have rectangles, ellipses, lines drawn at angles...

Hi Alison

yes

and in fact, when I want, say, perspective lines, I would almost certainly import/draw my own

but pasting anything page by page over 40+ pages is something I would like to avoid, especially if it is not out of the norm

'paste in place on all pages' would be a vote winner for me - and not just for guidelines....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    but pasting anything page by page over 40+ pages is something I would like to avoid
    Understood. Much as I love Xara (and I do, it's one of my two all-time fave applications), I don't consider it a desirable solution for handling large number of pages.
    'paste in place on all pages' would be a vote winner for me - and not just for guidelines....
    Sounds like a reasonable solution.