Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: Inkscape Vs. Xara

I remember this thread with some links to video tutorials about Inkscape's new features.

Remi

I haven't checked out Inkscape in awhile. I did find that the ClipArt link on the Inkscape website goes to openclipart.org Perhaps you could use the clip art in Xara.

I found that OpenClipart has a 132mg download of public domain clip art if you want it. Some clipart can be tacky, and I have no idea what's in it, but here's the link: http://openclipart.org/media/downloads
    Last edited by RedWombat; 15 March 2008 at 07:17 PM.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

I've invested a lot of time in XaraXtreme. I've also invested money in buying it and using it to earn some dollars. I don't care much if there's an OpenSource alternative that will be updated (read: changed) often because I've made XaraXtreme my choice of drawing tools. CorelDraw, Illustrator and InkScape are all on my system which are used mostly as viewers and/or converters.
    Free clipart is occassionaly useful, however often I need to produce something for a customer which is unique and is 100% relative to their business, so I can't use stock props that already exists.

I can agree with much that your stating Steve. We've probably followed similar paths. But to be honest the last time I compared Xara with CorelDraw was back in the days of Corel Xara and CorelDraw (version whatever) Corel had a "standard" vector drawing of a barn in a winter setting. In Corel it took minitues to render whilst in Artwork it took seconds (I just couldn't believe the rendering time compared to an Acorn Archemedes). I've never used Corel or Adobe since then so it's probably an unfair comparison. Never tried InkScape though I kep intending too.

I don't feel I could fairly judge the differences/advantages etc between these programs as I favour XXP by way of familiarity and usage. I do have Illustrator on my machine but a lot like you I use it as a file convector.

My original choice to choose Xara was it's speed, it's UI and the transparency tools. I've yet to be convinced, even several years down the line, that I was wrong. But I'm open to persuasion.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Availor asked 'which is best xara or inkscape' - as a user of both I shall reply: 'which is best a flat bladed screwdriver or a cross headed one' - the answer to both questions is the same
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Are you saying that you can 'screw things up' with both??

ho ho ho

though if I am really desperate I will admit to occasionally trying to undo a cross head screw with flat bladed driver - despite having the scars to prove it is not a good idea.

they have different tools these two programs - they work in some ways quite differently as well as in some other ways quite close
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

me too... but the others have caught on most of these things. Xara still has the fastest rendering on the block, so far as I know. but InkScape has grown fast. still a tad kludgy and nowhere near as fast as Xara, but dollar for dollar (ahem) Inkscape can't be beat or matched. it transparency controls are damn good and its tracer, as I have mentioned before, slays XaraTrace.

i have both. use xara for much the same reasons... that InkScape is catching doesn't equate to my changing my primary app, yet. BUT... Xara is getting slooooowwww in making REAL advances in drawing (as opposed to stuff like page layout) while Inkscape improves regularly.

Why for instance does Xara NOT have hierachical layers like every other major illustration/DigArt app? just insane... i often use 30 or more layers. sure would be nice if i could have only those i am working on taking up screen space.

anyway....
    back to work
    geo.
    “Beauty consists in a certain luster and proportion” - Aquinas

Just wondering if anyone else grabbed the new 0.46 release yet. And, if so... did you experience any bugs involving the lxml wrapper for libxml2? (even though it was properly installed....

Im using .45 for windows. I do use both Inkscape ans Xtreme. I like Inkscape because it is free!
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire