Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is Xara Ltd not only lost, but also lazy?

Please ......... There really is no need to keep quoting the whole of Eobet's post ..... We read it the first time!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

If this thread is going to become a pissing contest I will simply close it.

Expressing my opinion. I had hoped we were all adults and could go without making personal remarks about an individual.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Robert (eobet) has voiced an opinion and some personal feelings to vent a little frustration and perhaps disappointment with an apparent staling in development of an application he clearly loves and cares about.

Keep it civil and respectful please.
    IP

Smile Re: Is Xara Ltd not only lost, but also lazy?

I am a professional designer. I worked for 15 years as a print and TV advertising art director and after becoming a more honest person, I am now, among other things, a website and graphic designer. I use Xara Xtreme Pro about 99% of the time for everything I do.

That said, I agree that most of the users in this conference are hobbyists and amateurs. I started a thread several months ago, What is your day job, maybe someone can find the link. But even as hobbyists and amateur, the quality of work I have seen produced in these forums is as good as if not better than that of any other product, with the exception of Photoshop.

I can only speak for myself, but I have the complete Adobe Creative Suite 3 , Quark Xpress 7.2, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4, among other products installed on my computer (no I am not made of money, I review graphics software for Communication Arts Magazine and one of the perks is I get to keep the review software). But these products virtually gather dust on my computer because I just never have the occasion to use them.

I welcome the addition of more photo editing power. About the only Adobe product I use with any regularity is Photoshop. But if I can edit a bitmap to my satisfaction in Xtreme then that is pretty terrific.

Is Xara the best product in the world and is there no room for improvement? This is a very individual question and I am sure everybody has her and his own response to this.

But I do not think Xara is lost nor are they lazy.

Gary
    IP

I found that this thread was locked.

I don't know by who or why, so I've unlocked it. I may be overstepping my Moderator privileges here but whilst I don't agree with Eobets opinions I believe he has a right to post them here.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 29 February 2008 at 05:46 AM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Cheers Egg. I locked the thread after some unkind remarks were made about Eobet that did not contribute to continued discussion.

We can keep the thread unlocked for more discussion if everyone remains on topic and not try making disparaging remarks about an individual.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

My apologise Bill. I missed these comments.

We can keep the thread unlocked for more discussion if everyone remains on topic and not try making disparaging remarks about an individual
    Agreed
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

No apology necessary Egg. Perhaps I stepped in too soon trying to avoid an escalation that may never have happened.

All users of Xara products have ideas about how the development should progress. Some may become frustrated when things do not progress as quickly as they would have expected.

I saw that Eobet was trying to start discussion that may bring more people to express what they would think are important new additions to the program.

The February Outsider hints of news about new versions will be made next month. I assume that would be in the March Outsider.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Assuming that Eobet posted this before he received the latest copy of the Xara Outsider, it was very unlucky timing on his behalf.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

It will be interesting to see what changes and/or additions will be announced.

Eobet mentioned workarounds and how they possibly prevent people from wanting to have updates made to the application.

I know of no program that does not need some workarounds. Illustrator cannot support some of the transparency features I use daily. There are loads of other things Illy cannot do that I use but we don't need a long list repeating things that have been mentioned in other threads.

CorelDraw cannot support simple feathering and must be worked around.

Photoshop cannot export vectors and no work around is available.

There are somethings that Illustrator and Photoshop can do that Xtreme cannot. That is why they are still on my machine.

No one application will ever be the one and only application that does everything possible.

Use the strengths of each application according to your needs and accept their weaknesses as well.

I do not think that Xara has asperations to become a Photoshop replacement or to replace desktop publishing apps.

I do believe that the goal is to become the best application for what ever target demographic they have chosen.

No one application will ever satisfy everyone. There are far too many people with far too many needs for any program to provide them all.
    Last edited by Soquili; 29 February 2008 at 03:58 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP