Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do you delete part of a line when drawing?

I just started using Xara and have been doing some sketches in Xara Photo & Graphics 7.0 Once I am done my sketch I often want to delete a line (inner line I used to draw but now needs to be deleted to make sketch look right). Is there a way to erase part of a line. If I try to highlight and delete the line I lose the whole thing. I just want to delete part of a line (in the center of the line not at the end of it). Is there a way to do this? I have searched the help and watched videos but I don't see anything. I am hoping this is an easy solution. So far I have been importing into photoshop and erasing my lines with the eraser tool but it takes so much time!

Default Re: How do you delete part of a line when drawing?

Try selecting your line in the Shape Tool. You'll see the nodes that determine the length and shape of the line. If there's a node where you want to break the line, select the node, then click the Break at Points icon.

If there isn't a node where you want to break, add one, then click the icon. Repeat as often as needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	break_at_points.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	82379  

Is there a tutorial for this? For some reason it is not working for me so obviously I am doing something wrong. Maybe a tutorial will help if there is one?? I am assuming I am choosing something at some point that is wrong.

Hi, you have to select the object you want to edit with the selection tool (Arrow).

Then with the shape editor tool, if you click anywhere on the path (without moving your mouse at the same time) it will create a new point.

You can then press on "break at points" icon, as amoore described.

Hope this helps.

Marc

or draw another line across at the point you want to break, make sure both lines are selected and press ctrl+4 ['slice'] - the top line will disappear, and the bottom line will be broken where the two overlapped

if you want to remove the centre part of a line you can loop your top line back across and that way one slice operation will detach the centre piece
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

If you are more a visual learner, you can see the technique demonstrated. There are a ton of short topic tutorial videos at xara.com: http://www.xara.com/us/products/desi...torials-demos/
    Check out Lines and Shapes section
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    or draw another line across at the point you want to break, make sure both lines are selected and press ctrl+4 ['slice'] - the top line will disappear, and the bottom line will be broken where the two overlapped

if you want to remove the centre part of a line you can loop your top line back across and that way one slice operation will detach the centre piece
    This is the way I prefer to do it too.

amoore is correct, however you won't see much difference. what happens is that you can then change the line on either side of that point to the next point or select a new point beteen two points and delete points as well. This is sometimes useful for smoothing out a line or deleting part of a line.
    Sorry if the order is mixed up. I hope you can follow this and it helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-06-15_132707.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.7 KB 
ID:	82387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-06-15_134746.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	82392  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-06-15_134348.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	82393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-06-15_134650.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	82394  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-06-15_132734.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	82395  
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.