Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Also having install problem. Can't stop the "demo animation" or create "new" ...

I have version 3 so am not a total newbie. I thought that I would try this one, Version 7. I downloaded the trial and cannot overcome the scrolling demo animation.

I have installed, uninstalled, reinstalled with no change, no errors. I just keep getting the scrolling animation demo and cannot close it or override it with a "new" item. Clicking "File|new" just restarts the animation at the "Xara 3D Maker" line.

Clicking "save" or "save as" will create a new item in the file, but does not stop or get rid of the animation that is running.

I also found and deleted the "LastOpened.x3d and it did not stop, just created a new one.

The program cannot be used. Is this the normal quality level now?

What's the problem/work around?

Default Re: Also having install problem. Can't stop the "demo animation" or create "new" ...

Hi Rafter, welcome to Talkgraphics.

You should be able to click the File menu and select New. If that does not work try the Open Sample item on the File menu and select on of the other sample files.

Let us know if that does not work.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: Also having install problem. Can't stop the "demo animation" or create "new" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi Rafter, welcome to Talkgraphics.

You should be able to click the File menu and select New. If that does not work try the Open Sample item on the File menu and select on of the other sample files.

Let us know if that does not work.
    I retried the "File|New" method without any luck. It just restarts the demo in progress.

So I tried the Open Sample method and was able to open, edit and save the "sample" under a different name. Not close it but save it. Then I clicked "New" and the original "Xara 3D Scrolling Demo" reappeared. I exited the program and restarted it where upon the "Xara 3D Scrolling Demo" started up and, again, I can't get rid of it.

Ok, I decided to open a ticket at the Xara Support site.

To add insult to injury, their site rejected my login... which I had written down and Firefox had saved as well, and no attempt would let me in. How did I download the trial software?

So I re-registered with the same information... no problem on the sales side, but the support side took 3 attempts before accepting it. So I wrote up a ticket, and, before submitting it, noticed a knowledge base suggestion at the bottom of the page regarding a "default" document. That triggered a memory of a comment that you, Soquili, had made in another current thread.

So I created a new default document which now comes up and I can edit. After going through the program, help files, tool tips, etc., I have decided to uninstall the product.

This product has been captured by programmers who are technically very good, but are lazy and don't give a s... about the end user. If they understand what they are doing, that is good enough. Screw the guy trying to figure it out.

I have created, managed and sold 2 software companies. I had some brilliant guys that I had to get rid of for just that reason. The user may be a dumb ass, but he pays the bills so you have to take care of him... first.

This version of the product does not do that. I don't have time to burn on interface issues this simple.

Thanks for trying to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by rafter4 View Post
    To add insult to injury, their site rejected my login... which I had written down and Firefox had saved as well, and no attempt would let me in. How did I download the trial software?
    no one needs to be registered to download the software - as you must surely know, what with you being such a knowledgeable guy
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...