Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Image size control

couple of small points - I have only used psp9 - and not for a month or two - its not on my current config

can you assign scratch disk working area in psp? - in photoshop etc you can - so it is not 'clogging up' your c: drive - worth checking if it needs defragging too.
    photoshop would sure not be happy on my machine if it were asked to organise files of 500mb/600MB, which I also use, if the working area was on my C:drive and not on a seperate hard drive.

are you using 32bit or 64bit XP - I'm sure there is a limit to the memory 32bit XP will see, and 4GB is above this.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ............I'm sure there is a limit to the memory 32bit XP will see, and 4GB is above this.
    I think you're right Steve, I believe that the 32bit version is limited to 3GB.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Thanks for responding...I ran into trouble today at around the 310-320 MB level. Assuming I am using 32 bit XP (not sure) how could I run into problems with even 3 gigs of RAM? I can't even safely crop an image at that level...I am using this to improve large aerial photographs to provide realistic ground textures for Microsoft's Flight sim. Sorry to sound like Johnny one note.....
    IP

how could you run into problems? well in several ways:

have you checked out the points made so far?

soenda was careful to stress that at this level you need to be using your computer for this task only, unless you have a really powerful machine - not just memory is important here, also processor, hard drive speed and free capacity...to name a few

you do also need to check if anti virus programs, indexing programs etc are running in the background and hogging resource.

and of course check that you are not carrying any virus/malware /spyware that is slowing your machine down

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP