Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Write Error - Crash - 40 min Work Lost

The other night I tried to save a .xar file [XtremePRO 3.2] to a USB Flash-drive that was full. Xara gave me a write error and then locked up. Every time I clicked "OK" on the dialog, it just popped up another one. I tried removing the drive and hit "ESC" and god knows what else but I ended up having to kill Xara and lose about 40 minutes work. Surely Xara should go back to the "Save As" dialog box after a write error? I'm running Vista Home Premium [32 bit] on a Core2Duo laptop with 4Gb of RAM.

Default Re: Write Error - Crash - 40 min Work Lost

Quote Originally Posted by BONES View Post
    The other night I tried to save a .xar file [XtremePRO 3.2] to a USB Flash-drive that was full. Xara gave me a write error and then locked up. Every time I clicked "OK" on the dialog, it just popped up another one. I tried removing the drive and hit "ESC" and god knows what else but I ended up having to kill Xara and lose about 40 minutes work. Surely Xara should go back to the "Save As" dialog box after a write error? I'm running Vista Home Premium [32 bit] on a Core2Duo laptop with 4Gb of RAM.
    This happened to me across a network recently, sadly I lost more than ½ a days work inspite of saving often, the last failed write just killed it.
    Of course, no need for me to suggest to you what to do next time right

Yes, I agree it would be nice if a 'save as' was triggered when the location cannot be written to. But as the software freezes it's kind of too late.

There is a memory limit with a 32bit OS. You can physically fit 4GB, but Windows won't see 4GB. Are you certain 4GB is fitted?

The application never froze, it just kept re-displaying the same dialog over and over again. I figure its probably some minor Vista incompatibility.

Sorry, loop then if that suits you better. Technically though, the program froze at that point and went into an infinite loop.
    It happend on WindowsXP Pro for me, others have reported similar issues when the save location has become inacessable for whatever reason.

Incidentally, have you set XaraXtreme to create .bak files?
    You can do this by downloading and running XXTUNE

I wasn't too concerned, TBH. This is the first time in years I have lost any work in Xara [or anywhere else for that matter] and I am very bad at regular saving. I thought Xara might be interested in fixing it, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by BONES View Post
    I thought Xara might be interested in fixing it, is all.
    When I tried (deliberately as a test) to save to a location which doesn't have enough space, I do get the 'no space left on device' warning. But as you say, XaraXtreme doesn't respond correctly by cancelling the save when you press [ OK ]
    I used TaskManager to close Xara, yet my file still reopened without a problem next.. So it's not always destructive it seems

I agree that this should be looked at though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nospace.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	44665  
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 January 2008 at 12:59 AM.