Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Help getting started...: Installing XXP

I must be an idiot...I have purchased Xara Xtreme 3.2 retail version today....I have downloaded the PDF file, Xara Xtreme 3.2.exe and all I have is a white box in the middle of my desktop when I try to run..I see no dialog boxes for inputting my "purchase details" so I can use the download version until my cd arrives by mail. Can anyone else help me? I am using Windows Vista.

Default Re: Help getting started...

Update your graphic drivers perhaps?

Are you able to post a screenshot to give us a better idea?

It is seriously simply a rectanglular box with nothing but white space...I move the mouse over it and the pointer changes to a link identifier and when I click it shows that the link sends me to a page where I can purchase Xara. When I double click Xara to run the download, I first see a bit of color and text that flashes once for a bare instant before being nothing but white space. I have tried turning off my entire laptop and trying again, but it changes nothing.

I'd try updating your graphics drivers as a *first step*, at this stage it sounds like a display/redraw issue.

Quote Originally Posted by LoriOregon View Post
    I am using Windows Vista.
    Try running the program as administrator. I'm not on my vista machine right now, but I think if you right click the xara icon and select "run as administrator" that may help. I always do that with vista on the first run of any new app so that if it needs to do an initial write into the registry it's able to do so.

Stan

This is no longer an issue with latest 3.2

I am not sure what you mean by update graphic drivers... I did go in and do a Windows Update which I had not done in a long time...updated 18 items. Restarted computer...I had found another section telling me to right click and open as administrator, which I did,...made no difference. So, I am stil stuck!

Each hardware device requires some software to enable communication with the Windows operating system. These are known as 'drivers'.
    If the driver software that controls the GPU (Graphics Processor Unit - aka Chipset) has been corrupted by other software (virus, conflicting Windows update etc), or a even a Windows crash, then it may not be able to function correctly thereby causing some display related anomolies or problems. Updating the driver software that controls this can correct these problems and possibly add better support for other display related functions. The driver software is available from the chipset manufacturers website.

You will need to check your PC hardware details to find which graphic chipset your PC has.

If you are unsure about this, see this topic.