Is this about how the line can overlap the area of the shape it surrounds? If so, you could try the contour tool instead.

I know what you mean about wanting all the bells and whistles other programs offer, it can be difficult making the transition to Xtreme, but the philosophy of Xara is to keep things clean and simple (at least from the users point of view), so all those 'extras' are unlikely to be added.

That isn't such a bad thing.

Being a linework bod, one of the things I love and hate about E3 is the line width palette. It allows you to sculpt the shape of each line to exactly how you want it. Add to that the B-spline line tool (which gives about the most beautiful curves I have seen) and it is one of the best programs there is for line. But working with E3 also eats up hours and hours of time, as I just get caught up with endlessly tweaking the line widths and shapes.

What a relief it was to commit to Xtreme for my linework, though I would like the facility to add some of my own stroke shapes, I am very happy with the quality of line and the speed I can get my linework done in Xtreme. I would starve if not for Xtreme LOL!