Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Out of memory

Question Out of memory

Hi all.

I have a big problem here (sniff)
    I have to draw a kind of totem sign post for work.
    It has to be 2 meters high.

So I've drawn a small one, that looks great, but it has to be draw to size.
    Only problem is that when I try to blow up to size, it says I am out of memory.

I have managed to draw the logo 70cm wide. So all I have to do is blow the sign up to size, stick the big logo on and save it.

But I can't

Does anybody have any tricks or tip on how I can turn off stuff, or change the way the memory is used?

Coz I have already managed to get the company to buy me some more memory... (I only had 1Go to start with)

Configuration:

Windows XP
    Paint Shop Pro 8

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
    3500+

994MHz, 1,50Go de RAM
    Last edited by Alimoso; 21 August 2007 at 07:25 AM.
    IP

Default Re: Out of memory

What kind of output were you planning on? Can you lower your resolution to decrease file size? Or can you divide the image into small-sized segments? Perhaps you can keep it at 70 cm and resize it at the office?

Otherwise, I'm not sure how you would print out something two meters long unless you have access to a mammoth printer. Seems inevitable to me that you would need to do some pasting or taping to get anything that big.

Good luck!
    Last edited by soenda; 21 August 2007 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added material
    Please visit my photo galleries: www.pbase.com/soenda
    IP

PSP definitely wasn't designed for this task.
    You should really be working with vectors (which can be blown up without loss of information) or a high resolution bitmap from the beginning, and even with the bitmap you shouldn't be using PSP, which can't even output to CMYK properly - Photoshop is the industry standard for a reason. Don't get me wrong, I like PSP, but it simply can't handle large print jobs - just like non-designers that are asked to do design works.
    IP

Ah, so if I try to do it at home, on Photo Shop, I might be able to do it?

By the way, I don't have to print it out. The sign post company will do that.
    But they refuse to do any of the designing.

So if I do a small one and save it as a png or something, they might be able to blow it up to size without it getting all pixelized?

What kind of resolution should I be thinking of?

Bye the way, thank you for all of this help. Very kind of you
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Alimoso View Post

So if I do a small one and save it as a png or something, they might be able to blow it up to size without it getting all pixelized?

What kind of resolution should I be thinking of?

Bye the way, thank you for all of this help. Very kind of you
    here's a link that might help in respect of what bitmap resolution to use [post #5]
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ghlight=banner
    Last edited by handrawn; 23 August 2007 at 06:58 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Alimoso View Post
    Might is the proper word. What you must understand is what's involved in the process.

handrawn's link is perfect for understanding resolution.

No one expected you to print it.
    Unless the sign post company has its own design office, which I doubt any has it really, then they are right in not designing it for you or the company you work for. Their job is to convert the digital media they receive into a printed one - that's what their printing equipment is for.

Photoshop is the industry standard, not a miracle maker. What I meant is that you can work with photos or other bitmap files at very high resolution and not get memory errors because the program simply can handle all the information, plus you can work in CMYK color mode - which is the mode used for printing, while for monitor display its RGB. PSP is really weak in this area.

What is this totem sign anyway? I mean, what are you supposed to put in it? Because depending on what's going to be displayed, you can choose between vectors (which then is another story and you can blow them up as much as you wish, that is, as long as you save the file in a vector format, not .png) or bitmaps (which then deal with the resolution issues).
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by coningham View Post
    No one expected you to print it.
    Unless the sign post company has its own design office, which I doubt any has it really, then they are right in not designing it for you or the company you work for. Their job is to convert the digital media they receive into a printed one - that's what their printing equipment is for.
    Oh, that was in answer to soenda's remark about mamouth printers and sticky tape.

Thank you, all of you for your help.
    In the end I managed to make the graphics with PHP, not 2m high, but with good resolution. So they can blow it up over there.
    I saved it as a eps. file (because that's what they asked for)
    I zoomed right in to it and you could hardly see the pixels.
    So I am happy.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help
    IP