Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Xara Xtreme Installshield Error

Hi all,

I am long time user of Xara Xtreme (upgraded from Artworks -> Xara -> Xtreme and now to 3.2).

Having just upgraded to 3.2, I downloaded the trial version from the web to unlock, and ran into a problem.

Once run, it pops up the usual InstallShield window, I click next a couple of times, it downloads GDI+, and then I tell it where to install Xara. When I click "next" to start the actual installation, it then dies with:

An error (-5011 : 0x8000ffff) has occurred while running the setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications.
    If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Xara.

Error Code: -5011 : 0x8000ffff
    Error Information:
    >Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (325)
    >Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (201)
    >Ctor\IScriptWrapper.cpp (76)
    >Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (187)
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (554)
    pAPP:Xtreme 3.2
    PVENDOR:Xara
    PGUID:CD4D2805-D2E8-4314-903D-45014AD07171
    $9.1.0.440PAK
    @Windows 2000 (2195) IE 7.0.6000.16473

Xaras web support thing lists this as a known problem that affects a 'small number' of its customers, and suggests trying to run it in compatibility mode - this doesn't help.

So I opened a support ticket on the 5th July, and I have had no further response since. Maybe they are swamped with support requests with the new version?

Had they contacted me, I'd have told them that:

* I have tried redownloading the software again, without a download accelerator - same problem.

* I have disabled all the registry protection software on the machine (Windows Defender), and it still happens.

* That the same problem happened to me on my last machine when I upgraded from Xara to Xara Xtreme. This machine *was* fine when I installed the current version of Xara Xtreme onto it, but is clearly not now.

* That exactly the same problem happened to Graham Borland, a friend of mine, who reported it here in 2004 and was left with the problem unresolved - as I was when I had this problem before.

It seems that they have had this problem for at least 3 years, and still haven't solved it.

The Xara installer is based on InstallShield 9, which was unsupported as being too old when I googled for help back then - 3 years further on it must count as stone aged. Surely it wouldn't kill Xara to update to a more modern (supported) version?

At the very least, could they make an installerless version available to people that are having problems?

But I'm getting ahead of myself - has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone solved it?

Thanks,

Robin

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Installshield Error

Bump. I see no one responded...and I have the exact same error trying to install from CD on a Win XP SP2 machine:

Error Code: -5011 : 0x8000ffff
    Error Information:
    >Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (325)
    >Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (201)
    >Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (187)
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (554)
    pAPP:Xtreme 3.2
    PVENDOR:Xara
    PGUID:865A0E85-D67B-4151-9E5D-232BCBEBBACC
    $9.1.0.440
    @Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 6.0.2900.2180

Searching the internet doesn't turn up any solutions, either. (Of course, I didn't spend hours searching...)

-Joe

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Installshield Error

Looks like a lot of folks have had this problem with various software installs. Apparently it's an installshield issue as such. Why anyone still uses installshield is beyond me. I gave up on it years ago and moved to Inno Setup and have never looked back.

At any rate, I found a few links with possible cures:

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q110616

http://community.installshield.com/a...?t-147887.html

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5252325.html

I have no idea if any of these will help but at least it's a start. Good luck with it.

Stan