Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How do I get Free Upgrade ??

[QUOTE=mike9a;212934]agree 100%, $49 just to go from 3.02 to 3.2 hm, i see the changes in the air with this new ownership, not to better /QUOTE]

If you owned a company producing software, would you be happy to give it away to some people simply because they wanted it for nothing?
    Do the developers and employees take a wage reduction so their company can survive whilst doing this?
    Why are people always wanting every thing for nothing and then bitching and rumor mongering when their wishes aren't granted?
    Wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply,not buy and go look elsewhere for a better bargain if you think you can find one
    Personally, I like Xara Xtreme and will pay the upgrade prices if I wish to.

(I wasn't offered a free upgrade to Vista by Bill Gates either, should I complain?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    If you owned a company producing software, would you be happy to give it away to some people simply because they wanted it for nothing?
    Do the developers and employees take a wage reduction so their company can survive whilst doing this?
    Why are people always wanting every thing for nothing and then bitching and rumor mongering when their wishes aren't granted?
    Wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply,not buy and go look elsewhere for a better bargain if you think you can find one
    Personally, I like Xara Xtreme and will pay the upgrade prices if I wish to.

(I wasn't offered a free upgrade to Vista by Bill Gates either, should I complain?)
    No. But I certainly would if I had to pay for each of the service packs.

That's my point. This isn't a feature upgrade, this is a maintenance update.

Oh but it is a feature upgrade, as anyone who has read the release notes can clearly see.

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Oh but it is a feature upgrade, as anyone who has read the release notes can clearly see.

Oh, so "full Vista compatibility" is a sales feature? As in "a beta update is free, but a stable version will cost you"?

Man, if that's the way it works, it would be in their best interest to write bug-ridden code all the time! That way, every time I dropped the ball, I could just say 'oops, looks like I forgot something - that'll be 75 dollars, please'!

Wish I could get paid to fix my own mistakes like that!

Hummm - dont think anyone from Xara ever claimed that XXP was meant to be VISTA compatible before now. So you seem to be putting an unwarranted negative spin on this IMO.
    I would have to pay to upgrade quite a lot of my software to achieve VISTA compatability, Nero being a case in point. Way of the world.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

That's very well possible. I guess I'm just going to have to look for something else, or acknowledge that continued Xara use will mean that I'll be asked to open my wallet on a semi-consistent basis.

Between this, Xtreme and Xtreme Pro... Xara's had its hand out what - three times in the past year already?

Barklee since you joined the forum yesterday, having never before participated (at least not with that username). I have to ask if you joined for the sole purpose of complaining and trying to drive away new users to Xara programs?

Do you have some hidden agenda other than to stir up a lot of negative posts about a software upgrade?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

That's a legitimate question.

No hidden agendas, promise. I'm just a guy who's been using this for a long time and wanted to find out what the deal is with all these payments I have to make (granted the most recent is optional, but not for me, since I own Vista). I haven't had any questions or anything regarding Xara since I've been using it for so long, but at the same time I'm no artist - I wouldn't have been able to offer much advice to other users.

I was using the Xtreme Pro 3.0 version on Vista before upgrading to 3.2 and had no problems. Same for the Xtreme 2.0 before Xtreme Pro was available.

However, I do run Vista with the User Account Control (UAC) turned off. Microsoft advises that users should not disable the UAC, but it is a security feature that is too little and too late. I have better security measures I rely upon without having a nag screen every time I try to open an application.

Having said that about the UAC, I do have to also advise that I make my living as a network Administrator and have worked with computers with various operating systems and networks for the past 37 years. I do not advise others to follow my example and turn off the UAC feature in Vista.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks, man. I could probably turn off UAC, but I've only been running Vista for about six days now, and I figure I'll try and get used to it for a while, so that when I inevitably have to provide tech support to family members on it later on, I remember how it works.