Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xtreme Pro 3.2 & Xtreme 3.2 Released!

Quote Originally Posted by wall View Post
    I have a question:

Will we see some major enhancement being added to Pro in some subsequent point updates? Seriously, the difference between "pro" and "standard" Xara is really small now. Can these features alone really justify $170 difference?

Xara3D 6 included
    PDF/X export
    RAW photo import
    XPS support
    Color separation support
    PANTONE® color support
    Levels XPE plug-in
    Multi-page documents
    Short cut key configuration

Most of other softwares that have an LE version usually limit the features heavily to justify the price difference for the full version. Xara Pro is one of a kind in this practice as far as I can see.
    A good point to raise - I'd be very interested in reading responses to this question.

Just read all this thread and looked at the improvements on the link pasted way back http://www.xara.com/products/xtreme/whatsnew.asp
    I cant really see why one would want to gripe too much about the cost of the upgrade. Not sure what is expected from a 'point upgrade' compared to a 'new upgrade'.
    Reference was made to not paying for Win SP upgrades - were these really not much more than bux fixes and security fixes?
    I have seen arguments like this on other graphics threads but my question is why we grumble at small prices of upgrades that perhaps equate to a good night out at the boozer with mates or an evening wining and dining the girlfriend or wife, or a weeks supply of fags!!
    I don't mind supporting a program if I get benefit from it. Perhaps these small amounts for upgrade might speed up development of this program that in one breath many expouse the virtues of, whilst the other hand gives it the stick.
    My observations from the other half of the globe.
    regards, Richard
    Last edited by Richard S; 23 June 2007 at 01:09 PM.

I have a question:

Will we see some major enhancement being added to Pro in some subsequent point updates? Seriously, the difference between "pro" and "standard" Xara is really small now. Can these features alone really justify $170 difference?

Xara3D 6 included
    I already have that, no refund for old xara3d6 users, maybe I can give
    my current version to my brother, but how will he be able to register it, when it is registered to me?

PDF/X export
    RAW photo import
    XPS support
    Color separation support
    Maybe handy in the future.

PANTONE® color support
    Through Xara X1 I already had pantone colors.
    Did I pay twice for it now?

Levels XPE plug-in
    Multi-page documents
    Yep might be handy in the future.

Most of other softwares that have an LE version usually limit the features heavily to justify the price difference for the full version. Xara Pro is one of a kind in this practice as far as I can see.

Hmm I didn`t see flash in your list, does flash now also come
    with xara xtreme?
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
    Just read all this thread and looked at the improvements on the link pasted way back http://www.xara.com/products/xtreme/whatsnew.asp
    I cant really see why one would want to gripe too much about the cost of the upgrade. Not sure what is expected from a 'point upgrade' compared to a 'new upgrade'.
    Reference was made to not paying for Win SP upgrades - were these really not much more than bux fixes and security fixes?
    I have seen arguments like this on other graphics threads but my question is why we grumble at small prices of upgrades that perhaps equate to a good night out at the boozer with mates or an evening wining and dining the girlfriend or wife, or a weeks supply of fags!!
    I don't mind supporting a program if I get benefit from it. Perhaps these small amounts for upgrade might speed up development of this program that in one breath many expouse the virtues of, whilst the other hand gives it the stick.
    My observations from the other half of the globe.
    regards, Richard

The problem is that these small cost "upgrades" are everywhere.
    So not much money left anymore for a night on the town, or a couple
    of packages of fags. So to you it might be small, but for some it is getting big.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

I guess we have different views on what's a "small amount" for an upgrade (+ add VAT and shipping...)

I have a question:

Xara3D 6 included
    PDF/X export
    RAW photo import
    XPS support
    Color separation support
    PANTONE® color support
    Levels XPE plug-in
    Multi-page documents

Well to look at the question in a different way: you can think of Pro as being excellent value for money (compared to MS or Adobe equivalents). You can then look at Xtreme standard as sensational value for money - only slightly fewer features not required by everyone - at an insanely low price. Is it really right to demand justification for the price difference? Look from top down (relative to the competition) rather than bottom up (relative to everything being free). Do Adobe or MS even offer 'lite' versions of their 'professional' products at such an incredibly good price?

No doubt in my mind that xara is exceptional value for money.
    However, if there are genuine bug fixes available, and the only way to get them is to upgrade - thats a genuine grievance in my book for those who need the bug fixes only.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    No doubt in my mind that xara is exceptional value for money.
    However, if there are genuine bug fixes available, and the only way to get them is to upgrade - thats a genuine grievance in my book for those who need the bug fixes only.
    Exactly, and since bug fixes are essentially 'mistakes' in the program that should not be there in the first place, point upgrades are usually 'corrections' to the software. Why should users pay more for the developers mistakes and malfunctions?

The worth of new features depend on the individual's opinion of them-is it worth it to me?

Well, lets take this and discuss it. This may be a 'point' upgrade, but it actually adds significant new features that were not present in 3.0. It is therefore not feasible to give it away for free.

It was also recently brought to my attention that neither Microsoft nor Adobe give bug fixed versions away for free.

Illustrator has significant numbers of known bugs that Adobe will not fix - some which can reliably crash the final releases of software.

There is always scope in complex software for bugs to exist, but Xara has considerably fewer bugs than the competition.

And another point people are missing: Xara do give bug fixes away for free; minor updates that are released after a major release address the serious bugs found. Clear evidence of this from Xara is the release of 3.2.1 just days after 3.2.

These points invalidate any arguments that are being made here that Xara is not taking bugs seriously and is making you pay for upgrades to address them.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Well, lets take this and discuss it. This may be a 'point' upgrade, but it actually adds significant new features that were not present in 3.0. It is therefore not feasible to give it away for free.

It was also recently brought to my attention that neither Microsoft nor Adobe give bug fixed versions away for free.

Illustrator has significant numbers of known bugs that Adobe will not fix - some which can reliably crash the final releases of software.

There is always scope in complex software for bugs to exist, but Xara has considerably fewer bugs than the competition.

And another point people are missing: Xara do give bug fixes away for free; minor updates that are released after a major release address the serious bugs found. Clear evidence of this from Xara is the release of 3.2.1 just days after 3.2.

These points invalidate any arguments that are being made here that Xara is not taking bugs seriously and is making you pay for upgrades to address them.
    Question then:

either

a) there are no bug fixes for 3.0 in 3.2

b) there are bug fixes, but they are available separately for those who don't need to upgrade for the features [which of course will need to be paid for]

c) there are bugs fixes, but tough you have to upgrade to get them

which is is please?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...