Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Xtreme Pro 3.2 & Xtreme 3.2 Released!

I like the new version of Xtreme Pro, but there are a couple of glitches that I can't figure out how to get around.

1. When I draw a line, as soon as the end of the line gets close to the beginning of the line it snaps the two ends together. Sometimes this is what I want to happen, but other times I don't want it to happen. How can I prevent this automatic snapping? In the previous version it would only close the shape when the two ends touched. Now it happens when the two ends are close.

2. The other thing is that when I draw a line with a stroke shape and want to change the line, I would double click on a new stroke shape in the line gallery. This would change only the line selected. However, now when I do this, it not only changes the shape of the line but resets the shape for any future lines drawn. I liked it better how it used to be--double clicking on a shape while a line was selected only resulted in that one line changing--not resetting the shape altogether.

Is there anything I can do to change these two things? If not, I may go back to the previous version of Pro.

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZEBtoonz View Post
    I like the new version of Xtreme Pro, but there are a couple of glitches that I can't figure out how to get around.

1. When I draw a line, as soon as the end of the line gets close to the beginning of the line it snaps the two ends together. Sometimes this is what I want to happen, but other times I don't want it to happen. How can I prevent this automatic snapping? In the previous version it would only close the shape when the two ends touched. Now it happens when the two ends are close.

2. The other thing is that when I draw a line with a stroke shape and want to change the line, I would double click on a new stroke shape in the line gallery. This would change only the line selected. However, now when I do this, it not only changes the shape of the line but resets the shape for any future lines drawn. I liked it better how it used to be--double clicking on a shape while a line was selected only resulted in that one line changing--not resetting the shape altogether.
    Issue 1: There's no option in the UI for changing this currently, but you can change a value in the registry to reduce the size of the radius used to decide whether it should auto-close. Edit:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraXtremePro\Opti ons\Selection Blob Sizes\Freehand end hit-detect

and change it's value from 12 to (say) 2. This will make the hit radius 2 pixels instead of 12. We should add an entry into the Options dialog for this in the future. Will note. For Xtreme 3.2 users, the registry location is as above, but with "XaraXtreme3.2" instead of "XaraXtremePro" in the path.

Issue 2: Well spotted. This is a bug - it should only do what you describe if you have 'give new objects most recent attributes' on in the options dialog. We'll fix this.

Thanks

Neil

Yes this freehand tool 'hit radius' change is a very definite mixed blessing - thanks for the registry tip Neil.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks, Neil! The first problem was resolved doing the registry edit you suggested. Thanks, that's a big help! As for the second problem, I guess I'll have to wait for the fix.

Another thing, for some reason the zoom shortcuts of using the number keys 1 2 3 4, doesn't work. It works with the Ctrl+Shift 1 2 3 4, but not just the plain keys as it's supposed to. Any suggestions for this?

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZEBtoonz View Post
    Thanks, Neil! The first problem was resolved doing the registry edit you suggested. Thanks, that's a big help! As for the second problem, I guess I'll have to wait for the fix.

Another thing, for some reason the zoom shortcuts of using the number keys 1 2 3 4, doesn't work. It works with the Ctrl+Shift 1 2 3 4, but not just the plain keys as it's supposed to. Any suggestions for this?
    Your second problem is fixed in 3.2.1 which you can pick up from our web site now. See http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=27936.

If your zoom shortcuts (or other new 3.2 shortcuts) don't work, it's most likely because you still have customised shortcuts that you setup with 3.0. Unfortunately there is no way of picking up the new 3.2 shortcuts while also keeping hold of your customisations. So to reset your shortcuts to the 3.2 defaults, run up the shortcuts tool and choose "Reset all shortcuts" in the Shortcuts menu, then Save & Apply. Then restart Pro and you should find that the zoom shortcuts work.

Thanks

Neil

Well, I took the time to read through this thread. I'm not sure I see the advantages of upgrading yet. Over the years I've purchased and tried nearly every product from Xara. I stopped at Xtreme. I didn't even purchase Pro. I would like to see a better upgrade for those of us who have multiple Xara products. And I don't need another copy of X3D. How about another $10 off if we already own that or some of the other Xara products? I might do the upgrade at some point, but not right now. I'm just not sold on it.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

I'm really kind of shocked by this...

Xara has knocked my socks off since CorelXara! many years ago.

I was kind of miffed when I saw the Xara-XaraXtreme-XaraXtreme Pro upgrade path happen, and now we're paying for point upgrades?

I love this software, but it's starting to feel like it's shifting from a low-cost alternative to a higher-cost package with a payment plan...

Thanks, Neil! Everything is working fine now!