Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Wings 3D question

is it just me, or does the ROTATE/FREE command not work as one would expect?

When selected, the object rotates only on the z-axis.

geo.

Default Re: Wings 3D question

Hmm, perhaps right click on free command, then right click on a face,edge what have ya, and move the mouse the intended direction....

Good observation. All the time I've been using Wings, I've never touched the rotate/free command. And yes, it does seem to behave differently from other 3d programs I've used.
    One thing I observed is that rotate free rotates the object relative to the z axis of your monitor. So you could change the view orientation during rotate/free by click-dragging the middle mouse button and rotate the object any which way you want that way. Why would you want to rotate free, though, is a mystery to me .

oh... good thought process there GMan...

and yea, the more I think about, like GMan, I don't ever recall having ever used said command either... must learn more about where this would come in handy... even as a alt command to some other method approach... hmmm

GeoBen, when you begin with say a cylinder, it is always a good idea to select the whole object, select rotate>x, and instead of moving the mouse to rotate, hit the tab button, then type in 90 and hit enter... this should correct your objects axis for better object manip...

yes, rotates on the x-axis.

as to why i would want it to, dunno, really... you guys are the experts, I am just learning this stuff.

i started out in DP back in the late 70, several years before I was born, doing technical writing and I discovered then that writing helps to cement notions in my mind, so I still do it. And, since i can find no decent user docs (the wiki is good, but far being complete), I thought i would do it myself as a discussion of 3D modeling in general, so I will get to everything eventually. If anyone would like to see (perhaps critique) what I have written so far, it can be found here.

Thanks, Gidgit,for the suggestion,

geo.
    Last edited by GeoBen; 18 May 2007 at 11:39 PM.

"i started out in DP back in the late 70, several years before I was born,..."

GeoBen, you must teach all of us this particular technique.

I have some specific things I would have like to done before I was born.