Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Will Adobe PNG be supported in the future

Hi.

Just thinking. Is there a chance that Extreme will actually support Fireworks layered png format in the future.

I love to work with Extreme, but not many other programs can read the XAR format, and if I create a drawing and have to export in a "professional" format that will keep the vector information and not turn it into bitmap, then would that not be Adobe PNG format ?

I find Extreme easier to work with than any other drawing program I have tried, including Adobe Fireworks, the only thing that I miss is PNG support and a layerd technology like fireworks uses, where each object is placed in its own layer, and you can see a visual icon of the object in the layer list so, it is easy to select the individual objects from the layer gallery.

Default Re: Will Adobe PNG be supported in the future

PNG has always been a bitmap format (also part of an frame based animation) format. I didn't know of any vector information being saved. Does fireworks really use PNG specs for layered vector files?

Michael the Fireworks program (unfortunately) uses the .png file extension for their vector files which are not the same as the rastor .png format.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Xara has layers in case you were not aware and it's very easy to select something in XARA, just click on it and if it's behind something, use Alt-Click
    and it will keep selecting objects behind other objects untill you get the right object. Also, Xara can export layers to PNG it's under the export options.

I've never heard of vector information in the PNG format. If Adobe Fireworks has it, it is not a standard PNG format, because as far as I know, no other program supports this. PNG was orginally created as a format to replace GIF format when the company that owned it decided they were going to start charging everyone to use it.

s.g.

Sgiff the file format used by Fireworks is not the Portable Network Graphics or standard PNG format.

Why a company would purposely through a confusion factor into an already muddy mess that computer graphic files can be is beyond my comprehension.

Fireworks uses .png as their file extension although it is nothing like the .png for raster (bitmapped) images.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by sgiff View Post
    Xara has layers in case you were not aware and it's very easy to select something in XARA, just click on it and if it's behind something, use Alt-Click
    and it will keep selecting objects behind other objects untill you get the right object. Also, Xara can export layers to PNG it's under the export options.

I've never heard of vector information in the PNG format. If Adobe Fireworks has it, it is not a standard PNG format, because as far as I know, no other program supports this. PNG was orginally created as a format to replace GIF format when the company that owned it decided they were going to start charging everyone to use it.

s.g.
    I know about the layer features in Xara, but it is now way near as powerfull as the layer system in Adobe Fireworks. You should try it and then it will become clear how powerfull fireworks layering is.

And yes it is not the standard PNG format, Macromedia have made their own PNG format that is backwords compatible with the bitmap PNG format, so if you open the Fireworks PNG in xara or any other program, it will be considered to be a bitmap file, but in fireworks it will read as being a vector file, because fireworks knows how to handle the extra information in the layered PNG file.

Export of layerd PNG i xara is not compatible with this.
    So the fireworks PNG file is a Adobe specific format, but so is PSD ?

Now I am about to create a logo in xara, for somebody, but I can not deliver the logo in a layered vector file format that they can read because the do not know about the xar format.

And this is the great power by vector graphics, that you can rescale and change it very easy.

Another reason why I would love to have support for fireworks png, is that many website templates are created using fireworks, and if you want to change a company logo or what ever you will need to use fireworks, otherwise the graphics is just seen as a fixed bitmap.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Sgiff the file format used by Fireworks is not the Portable Network Graphics or standard PNG format.

Why a company would purposely through a confusion factor into an already muddy mess that computer graphic files can be is beyond my comprehension.

Fireworks uses .png as their file extension although it is nothing like the .png for raster (bitmapped) images.
    No but they are compatible.
    And this is the reason why, because if you design a website in fireworks, you can then draw it using powerfull vector graphics, and slize it and export it to be used in your website design.

Website browsers will display the images as bitmap images, but you can go back and edit them as vector images.

In my opinion more powerfull than the PSD format.

This is the true power of fireworks PNG format.
    Last edited by hgr; 09 May 2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Forgot.

Hgr I see that Adobe did not discontinue Fireworks after all.

The version available as CS3 now supports MXML and appears to be setup to compete with Microsoft's new SilverLight product.

Who knows how this battle between the giants will unfold.

Does anyone even remember Microsoft Bob?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

hgr,

Now I am about to create a logo in xara, for somebody, but I can not deliver the logo in a layered vector file format that they can read because the do not know about the xar format.
    Send the logo as a pdf.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    hgr,

Send the logo as a pdf.
    True, but if they then would need it scaled they would have to call me back.
    It would be much nicer if I could save the file in a "professional" vector format.