Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Saving images with thumbnails

Despite searching the help files and the Web, I can't find info on how to save painter files with a thumbnail.
    Can anyone help
    Many thanks
    IP

Default Re: Saving images with thumbnails

I vaguely recall that on Mac's there's some kind of thumbnail view available but can't tell you what it is.

At least in Windows, the only thumbnails created when we save an image in Painter are those that display in the upper right corner of the Open dialog when the file name is highlighted.

Those thumbnails are saved to the Preview.PIX file automatically created by Painter and located in the same folder where the image was saved.

If the image is then moved to another folder, there will be no thumbnail until the image is saved again to the new folder.

Some artists save a small JPG with the same file name as the RIFF file, to use as a thumbnail when viewing files in the Open dialog. If your working image is also saved as a JPG, you'd need to add something to the file name to make it different and indicating the smaller JPG is a thumbnail, like this:

Working image: mypainting.JPG
    Thumbnail: mypainting_thumb.JPG
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Default Re: Saving images with thumbnails

Jinny,
    Thanks for that. The fact that, as you state, thumbnails are not saved when files are moved to a new folder, explains the apprently erratic behaviour of Painter in sometimes showing thumbnails and sometimes not. I had thought that thumbnails travelled with the file.
    Many thanks
    IP