Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Create Bitmap Copy...whats it for ?

I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking but can someone elaborate on the purpose of converting vector art to bitmap.

Does it have benefits if i want to export to .ai which does not support xaraX filters?

Are there benefits when printing commercially, what about scaling, im assuming we loose the scalibility of a vector drawing ?

Many thanks.

- Steve

Default Re: Create Bitmap Copy...whats it for ?

Quote Originally Posted by coldfuel View Post
    I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking but can someone elaborate on the purpose of converting vector art to bitmap.

Does it have benefits if i want to export to .ai which does not support xaraX filters?

Are there benefits when printing commercially, what about scaling, im assuming we loose the scalibility of a vector drawing ?

Many thanks.

- Steve
    Hi,

It's analogous to MS Expression's convert to pixel layer command. The advantage in Xara however is that you retain the vector art which can be stored in a safe layer somewhere in case edits to the bitmap are needed.

I can't answer your other questions, but i use it if i want a bitmap produced from a collection of vector objects, for example, if there are many vector objects (eg a trace). Or another use: if i want a smaller bitmap to be made of a larger one without the hassle of exporting and then re-importing. Reduced large bitmaps don't mip (unlike say if you reduce the size in the XPE) so sometimes creating a bitmap copy to screen resolution helps. Sometimes when creating Flash animations, creating bitmap copies of vector objects containing features not supported by flash can overcome some of those limitations.

There are manuse for a bitmapped copy in Xara it can:
    give depth and atmosphere to a vector drawing
    It can replace complex blends which would increase file size
    It can save time when multiple areas are require
    It can be optimised for the web to replace vectors
    As you say it can be exported to other programmes
    It can be used as a fill

The list goes on and on a if you have bought Xtreme with CD you will have the info on this on PDF. This command is regularly used when trying to achieve realistic drawings. You were talking about using this instead of vectors when exporting to AI well they do work and work well. There is PDF,psd. and there is AI eps which both work so long as you dont use any of the bitmapped tools like shadow or bevel and any use of complex fills eliptical or any of the complex transparencies which AI cant do. To export any thing into AI has to be simple with the previso when you open a eps. file it is done through Legasy ver 8 and this is the same if you want to import into Xara.
    Last edited by Albacore; 06 December 2006 at 01:31 PM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forums. I will let more experienced users elaborate but create bitmap copy has a very different function than exporting to bitmap. When you create a bitmap copy, you can use that copy in bitmap fills and in brushes to create certian effects. For example:

I have used a vector drawing of grass in a clump and created a bitmap copy of that and used the bitmap to create a brush to fill in areas with clumps of grass.

You can also use create bitmap copy to convert portions of your drawing (such as certian fills and transparencies) that use items that aren't supported by other programs (like AI and Flash and others). And in answer to your question, yes you do lose scalibility (or at least quality if you scale) with bitmaps, so you should export from Xara in the final output size.

I am by no means an expert on printing, so I will let others chime in on that topic.

I hope that helps,

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Thanks all for the in-depth response..

Another use for this is if you import a very large bitmap and then reduce it within Xara - making a bitmap copy and deleting the original would make for a smaller file size when saving.

Christine

One example I use it for is when I create something using brushes and want to put it into Flash. For example, in my Christmas Tree, the garlands were made with a brush, then converted to bitmap since Flash doesn't like brushes, bevels, fades, etc.