Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Yesterday I spent hours trying to create a functional image map.

The image was a pallet with paint dabs which were the click links. This was to go in an existing page I do for our local Arts Association.

I exported the file as sliced and the preview looked beautiful, but when I copied and pasted the code into the gallery page plus all the gifs associated with it, uploaded it I was horrified to see that it was all in distorted pieces with missing areas of the background. I copied absolutely every thing so that wasn't the problem.

Back to Xara, I twiddled with everything making double sure everything was named and linked results were still terrible.... the preview still looked wonderful though.

About 10 attempts later I went to export again and a dialog (or The dialog box) had an option to insert into an existing HTML file. I chose that option and Yeah!!! it worked and looked like it should.

NOW get this when I looked at the html coding that was inserted into the existing file there was all kinds lines of coding that was non-existant in the file I had been trying to copy and paste from. If anyone wants to see the two of them to see the difference I can e-mail it to them.

So here is the problem, this afternoon I created another sliced image map as a learning re-enforcment. When I was ready to export, I chose a folder that I had created a basic html page. Try as I might I never saw the option to export into an existing file. WHERE IS IT?????

Judi
    P.S. Found a really neat thing today (on accident). I had some neat looking bitmap patterns in the Bitmap Gallery. I had an oval which I filled with a four color fill I meant to change it to a bitmap fill, but somehow clicked the transparency icon instead and chose bitmap as the transparency method. Wow! the pattern (not the color) of the bitmap showed up on the 4 color fill.

Yesterday I spent hours trying to create a functional image map.

The image was a pallet with paint dabs which were the click links. This was to go in an existing page I do for our local Arts Association.

I exported the file as sliced and the preview looked beautiful, but when I copied and pasted the code into the gallery page plus all the gifs associated with it, uploaded it I was horrified to see that it was all in distorted pieces with missing areas of the background. I copied absolutely every thing so that wasn't the problem.

Back to Xara, I twiddled with everything making double sure everything was named and linked results were still terrible.... the preview still looked wonderful though.

About 10 attempts later I went to export again and a dialog (or The dialog box) had an option to insert into an existing HTML file. I chose that option and Yeah!!! it worked and looked like it should.

NOW get this when I looked at the html coding that was inserted into the existing file there was all kinds lines of coding that was non-existant in the file I had been trying to copy and paste from. If anyone wants to see the two of them to see the difference I can e-mail it to them.

So here is the problem, this afternoon I created another sliced image map as a learning re-enforcment. When I was ready to export, I chose a folder that I had created a basic html page. Try as I might I never saw the option to export into an existing file. WHERE IS IT?????

Judi
    P.S. Found a really neat thing today (on accident). I had some neat looking bitmap patterns in the Bitmap Gallery. I had an oval which I filled with a four color fill I meant to change it to a bitmap fill, but somehow clicked the transparency icon instead and chose bitmap as the transparency method. Wow! the pattern (not the color) of the bitmap showed up on the 4 color fill.

There is no "export into an existing file" option. All you have to do is use the same filename and you will be asked if you want to overwrite this existing file. Remember this is NOT append situation.... if you choose yes you will replace the existing file.

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

Thanks so much Ed. My brain was so befuddled I didn't remember what I did right.

Judi

Export sliced image.

Okay I finally found out why the dialog box
    "File exists"
    Do you want to replace it?
    Do you want to insert it into the existing file?

If the existing file has a HTML extension you do not get the dialog box.

If the extsting file has a HTM extension the dialog box comes up.

There is no need to start a second topic on this Judi.

If you use a name in XaraX that "exists" already then you get the dialog box.

Use an html editor to modify existing files.

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

Ed

You said
    >If you use a name in XaraX that "exists" already >then you get the dialog box.

That is my point "it ain't necessarily so" You get the dialog box only if the existing file has a HTM extension. IF it has a HTML extension the dialog box does not come up!

Look the web pages I do have been in existance for a long time. Most of them have the HTM extension because before Win 98 that is all you could use. SOME of the newer pages I've added have the HTML extension. I tested this and re-tested this with all the HTML extension pages I had and the dialog box did NOT come up and would allow overwriting the file with out warning.

All the pages with the HTM extension did produce the dialog box that gave you a choice to insert the image map or overwrite the file.

>Use an html editor to modify existing files.

I'm not quite sure what that sentence was suppose to mean?

The way it is now I would have to temporarily change the name of the file using the HTM extension to insert the Image map. I would then have to go back and rename it again or all my links would be broken.

Huge Big Sigh!
    Judi

If your saying that XaraX overwrites files without warning you then this is a bug. I hope Mark see's this.

I've always used MS Front Page and it does all my image maps within the application so all I have to do is bring in the raw graphics. I therefore have no personal experience of using the methods you describe above

With regards to your renaming and broken links problem... Front page will NOT let you break link this way. You CAN rename all you want any time you like and Front page will automatically fix the broken links on the fly.

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!