Quote Originally Posted by Tallis View Post
Why are the people saying this? Should I be using gif not jpeg? or png?
Your question has to do with text. As I think someone mentioned in the other thread, jpeg is a lossy file format. That means that it tries to figure out what pixels it can lose to make the file smaller. It's good for photos with lots of colors. It's not good for straight lines, sharp details or large areas of one color. That's why text gets fuzzy and artifacts appear. Gif and png don't have these problems.
The jpeg file is usually being developed at a local or online photo place like snapfish or winkflash.com I dont know if they will take PNG, and won't gif degrade the colors or quality vs. jpeg??
I just looked at snapfish and winkflash. Snapfish takes only jpeg or bmp. (Bmps won't have the jpeg fuzz, but the files will be huge.) However, winkflash takes tiffs and pngs (as well as jpg, bmp and gif).

You're correct that gif is not good for photos. However, tiff and png should be just fine. Tiff is a standard format for high quality output, and png is a lossless format that does very well in a variety of situations. Both should give you good, sharp text and lovely photos if you provide the file in the appropriate resolution for the photo size you want. You may have to experiment a little to see what works best for you.