Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Underlined text : how ?

Hi all,

I just want to know if it is possible and how can it be done.

thanks.

Default Re: Underlined text : how ?

Quote Originally Posted by nvictor View Post
    Hi all,
    I just want to know if it is possible and how can it be done.
    thanks.
    The simple answer? Draw a line.
    Other answer: there isn't one to my knowledge.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Intbel is right. It's a real niggle and crazy omission that's been around for so long I'd forgotten all about it.

Paul

I think drawing your own line under text makes it much more flexible than plain old 'underline' in a WP package. You can select line thickness, angle, curve, bevel, colour, brush, dots or dash, transparency, infinite combinations. Photoshop doesn't have an 'unerline' feature. Neither does Illustrator. Don't think they left it off for no reason either.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Photoshop doesn't have an 'unerline' feature. Neither does Illustrator. Don't think they left it off for no reason either.
    Frank, you're not up-to-date.
    Since Adobe Illustrator CS 2, there is a underline function available.

Remi

I think drawing your own line under text makes it much more flexible than plain old 'underline' in a WP package. You can select line thickness, angle, curve, bevel, colour, brush, dots or dash, transparency, infinite combinations. Photoshop doesn't have an 'unerline' feature. Neither does Illustrator. Don't think they left it off for no reason either.
    LOL the fact that program 'X' doesn't do something, is hardly a reason for program 'Y' not doing it. If Xara can curve text around a line, it can draw the line too..

Paul

Somewhere along the line, someone decided underline is used only for web links and therefore should not be a part of a normal text editor's repertoire...or something along those lines

I think drawing your own line under text makes it much more flexible than plain old 'underline' in a WP package. You can select line thickness, angle, curve, bevel, colour, brush, dots or dash, transparency, infinite combinations.
    If there were an underline option, one could CTRL+click the line in the text to select it in order to set its properties. Same thing with selecting a character in the text.
    Drawing your own line is the alternative now, but it takes you more time to draw it correctly and make sure the distance to the text is correct and the line's breadth exactly fits the text.... This is tedious compared to a one-click underline button

Points taken. I still don't want one but I can see why some people would. But then if they add it you would have people decrying the fact you did not have the same flexibility control over the automated 'underline' line as you do over the line that you draw under the text. You cannot please all of the people all of the time.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

There are two reasons for underscored text, one old and one newer.

The old underscore was used for typewriters that could not print text that was in italics or bold face and so the underscore was used to indicate text that would be stylized. The underscore is not used in contemporary typesetting because italics and boldface exist as an option.

The newer use of underscore is on the web to indicate text that is hyperlinked.

Any other use of the underscore is simply not acceptable

Gary

LOL, just as well nobody uses Xara for print work then. Certainly explains the lack of need for Pantone.. ;-)