Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Astroimage processing

Can I use Photoshop Elements 3 or Photo Impact Pro for stacking lunar and planetary imaging, and what if I use a modified wabcam, can I change the Saturation of CCD for process, and how about multiple subframes for each of the L, R, G, and B.
    IP

Default Re: Astroimage processing

If you want to know if Elements 3 has layers, and if you can control the Opacity of each layer, then yes. You can also control the Saturation of each layer.

Not sure what you mean by CCD for process, or Subframes for each L, R, G, B. Sorry.

Sark
    IP

I have been told this software, below, is the best for astrophotography. Tho I do use Adobe Photoshop Elements and Photo Impact Pro for my Dig work, now interested in looking up at night.
    MaxImDL
    http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/soft-image.htm
    IP

RGB versus LRGB

When amateurs speak of LRGB image, theoretically they speak of a processing more sophisticated than simply adding four monochromes frames, 1B/W + 1R + 1G + 1B. Theoretically, to increase the signal-to-noise ratio, reduce the turbulence and others artifacts, RGB images should be the combination of several dozen monochromes images. The number is not very important, and in some cases even one RGB is enough. But usually most amateurs prefer to stack several RGB together to reduce the effects of the turbulence in using only one frame (1R+1G+1B). Then this RGB image is combinated with the luminance image. This last gives the contrast to the RGB composite, whithout wich the resulting image looks fine of course but lack of depth; it is not "crisper of details".
    LRGB image of Mars taken on August 23, 2003 by Jacques-André Regnier with a Celestron Nexstar 5 (127mm f/58) equipped with a Powermate 5x and Philips Vesta Pro webcam. This image results of the combination of 800 RGB and 800 B/W individual frames.
    image attached
    http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/Docu...r5-reinier.jpg
    The luminance frame should be the combination of a few dozen to hundreds individual B/W frames. This is particulary important when picturing highly featured surfaces like planets (Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and in a lesser extent the crescent of Venus and the one of Mercury).

The final image result then in the combination of all these individual frames.
    IP

Now I see where you're going.

I think you are definitely going to benefit from software like the Terragen app linked. I use Photoshop 7 and even Elements bigger brother is not going to offer anything like what I suspect you require. Although I've used Elements in the past, I don't think my version even had the Channels palette. Whilst you can add to the RGB channels in Photshop, having looked at the link to Terragen, I still think you would find Photoshop limited.

Would certainly be interested to see some results posted here if you get up and running.

Good luck

Sark
    IP

From what I have read on their web forum they use, MaxIm DL/CCD, tho I know nothing about it.
    Was hoping someone here could give me a good heads up on what to do.
    IP