Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: New to Forum and I'm Asking for Favours Already!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I've actually created the text I needed using 'text around a curve' in Xtreme and then exported it to 3D and got it more or less how I wanted (I have to do it myself I am pedantic like that) but the only thing I find is the file size is quite large when I save as any type of flash. The smallest I can get it down to at the moment is 1.79m. Is this the norm or am I missing something?

The only reason I ask is that some of the examples I've seen and the files on the software itself are usually considerable smaller!

Thanks in advance,
    David

Hello David. I have no idea why your file should be such a large one. The file, especially swf should not be more than several kilos, not more than 15-20kb for the least.

Perhaps you could post a screenshot of your file, or try posting the original file if you can downsize it a little.

What Availor is saying is not strictly true. Vectors can be larger than Bitmaps, especially if using swf file types.

I attach 2 examples. They are both the same static image at the same size, but as you can see the vector image is much larger than the bitmap one.

I also post a zoomed in view of the Vector file. You can see that to create the curves, they are created by many vector shapes. This example is the same as the other 2 attached but with a 45 degree bevel applied. This doubled the vector swf file size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!1.1.gif 
Views:	151 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	29895  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 22 September 2006 at 06:56 PM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    ... but as you can see the vector image is much larger than the vector one.
    Shome mishtake?

UPDATED BY EGG:

Blush... Blush... I've altered the original post to " but as you can see the vector image is much larger than the bitmap one "

Thanks Raymond
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 22 September 2006 at 06:59 PM.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by David Strover View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    My boss at work wants me to create a website for him and he would like the words Design, Engineering, Knowledge rotating around another image (a bit like the old movie logo - I think it was the very old Paramount logo with the plane) at a cocked angle. Sort of circling the globe or an object, each word following the other in a curved or circular path
    David
    Hi David,

The very best advice I could give you would be to tell your boss this is an incredibly bad idea for the following reasons:
    1. unless the animation is very small and very low res it will be a huge download and add precisely nothing to the value of your website
    2. the "Universal Pictures" words going around a globe thing is really naff and outdated, it's very 1990s
    Special effects should be used carefully. Too many bells and whistles can be distracting. Useability studies have revealed that most users are put off by visual noise. Consider your users at all times. I would seriously reconsider the value of doing this. Just because you can does not mean that you should.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Hi Big Frank,

I've already told him he doesn't want Flash Intros or even any Flash content or anything else that might slow down load time or look naff and as I suspect you can guess he will not listen. Just like most people who can't even use Frontpage will not - it drives me nuts! They can't do it themselves with simple software and yet when you give them advice they won't take it.

Oh yeah and they always want it done for about £20 too!

I have always subscribed to less is more.....except in payments!

David
    Last edited by David Strover; 22 September 2006 at 05:25 PM.