Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re: Layers???

THIS IS A THREAD THAT HAS BEEN SPLIT & MOVED by EGG:

In a recent THREAD it was noted that there was a considerable file size difference between an original image Copied from the screen and the resultant xar file:

FOOTNOTE: Both mine & Intbel have used Suz original image, but whilst Suz original is 100Kb, both mine & Intbels file size has shot up to 800Kb. Velly Odd!

THIIS IS INTBELS POST:-
    The reason the files are larger is simple - we all put something of ourselves into all our work no matter whether 'tis a quickie or a major project.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 03 September 2006 at 01:24 PM.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Intbel,
    What we've added is just vector shapes, which are no size at all. Here's my file again without the bitmap. Notice the file size.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    FOOTNOTE: Both mine & Intbel have used Suz original image, but whilst Suz original is 100Kb, both mine & Intbels file size has shot up to 800Kb. Velly Odd!
    The difference between your & Intbel's version and the version from Masque is the following one: If you Copy & Paste the bitmap from your Browser to Xara Xtreme, the size is 2.320 K, but if you save the bitmap with the "Save Image as" function of your Browser and do a import in Xara Xtreme, the size of the bitmap is only 85 K.

Remi

Remi,

You'r correct. This is just a xar file containing only Suz's bitmap. 800Kb

What creates the diiference: if you Copy & Paste the image or Save As and import (800Kb and 85Kb)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 03 September 2006 at 12:17 AM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    The difference between your & Intbel's version and the version from Masque is the following one: If you Copy & Paste the bitmap from your Browser to Xara Xtreme, the size is 2.320 K, but if you save the bitmap with the "Save Image as" function of your Browser and do a import in Xara Xtreme, the size of the bitmap is only 85 K.
    Remi
    That is weird.
    I thought it would be the other way around.
    ie ... saving the image saves original which my be 600dpi or whatever while copying and pasting only copies and pastes a 96dpi screen image.

That is how I thought it is.

Why the big difference here?

Thanks for the info - always seeking ways of keeping file sizes down.
    Last edited by Intbel; 03 September 2006 at 12:14 AM.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Open the Bitmap Gallery within Xara Xtreme (F11) and you're able to see the details of the included Bitmaps. You'll find some important informations about the images there:
    1. Name of the image
    2. Bitmap image type (Standard bitmap or JPEG)
    3. internal Size of the image

Quote Originally Posted by Intbel View Post
    That is weird.
    I thought it would be the other way around.
    ie ... saving the image saves original which my be 600dpi or whatever while copying and pasting only copies and pastes a 96dpi screen image.

That is how I thought it is.

Why the big difference here?

Thanks for the info - always seeking ways of keeping file sizes down.
    The problem with Copy & Paste is, the Windows Clipboard is storing/transfering the image as a Windows bitmap/metafile and this file format is larger (2.320 K) than the original JPEG (85 K).

But the .XAR file format is also able to include the original JPEG image together with the original size, so if you import a JPEG image instead of Copy&Paste, Xara Xtreme reads only the original JPEG image and includes it together with the originial size (only 85K in this example).

Remi

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    The problem with Copy & Paste is, the Windows Clipboard is storing/transfering the image as a Windows bitmap/metafile and this file format is larger (2.320 K) than the original JPEG (85 K).

But the .XAR file format is also able to include the original JPEG image together with the original size, so if you import a JPEG image instead of Copy&Paste, Xara Xtreme reads only the original JPEG image and includes it together with the originial size (only 85K in this example).

Remi
    Thanx. No more copying and pasting then.

I think the original question from someone who is a little confused about the function and use of layers has been made into something rather different and even more confusing.
    Derek

Yes you're correct Derek so I've split the thread.

Thanks for your insght Remi, I never realised that happened either.
    Egg