Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Can anyone Help me recoverer this File?

Hi Guys and others -

I have a file thats taken too long to create -
    Sadly as it was finally done I had the nightmare " xara Spurious internal error has occurred" - so after I wiped up the tears I ran ExpandXar.exe but very little of the file is recovered and not the good stuff!

Can anyone take a look - perhaps with superior knowledge and a bit of luck someone might be able to recover it?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Can anyone Help me recoverer this File?

Did you email it to Xara, per the knowledgebase entry?
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDB View Post
    Hi Guys and others -

I have a file thats taken too long to create -
    Sadly as it was finally done I had the nightmare " xara Spurious internal error has occurred" - so after I wiped up the tears I ran ExpandXar.exe but very little of the file is recovered and not the good stuff!

Can anyone take a look - perhaps with superior knowledge and a bit of luck someone might be able to recover it?
    I got one of these. What seem to happen was that the save failed because Xtreme quit (without warning - it just disappeared) during the save. By then it had overwritten the old file and partially written the new version. Very annoying. It seems to do this if it's running out of memory or disk space (it was a very image intensive file). Did you see the same thing?

Perhaps if Xtreme is overwriting a file, Xtreme should rename the old one to ".bak" or similar.

Alex

I looked and looked for an address to send it to - and just wound up here ;-)

You would think I was a newbee LOL

Yer I too would like an Auto Save and auto *.bak file

Makes ya wana load up Corel Dont it LOL

Ok thats too extreme even for me - I am hunting around my HD for components I may have used and taking home a CD of all my XAR files - it will only take 4 hours to re make it I guess but it is infuriating that you cant switch on make *bak files - at least I did a client approval proof 5 mins before I lost the file - He Loved it LOL

Just hope the one I work on all night tonight is as good!

David,

I know it doesn't help now, but you can enable the creation of a .bak file so the previous version of your file isn't overwritten when you save.

GerryI wrote:
    To avoid this problem you can either use "Save As" to avoid overwriting your previous version or you can enable the creation of a backup file when overwriting by changing the MakeBakFiles registry value in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraXtreme\Options \Filters

...to the value 1.

Note: editing the registry can be dangerous so be very careful if you do this.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill, I certainly can see how the Save As is the way to go - I use it automatically, all the time, out of habit. But... if, as abligh states, the spurious error occurs DURING a save, how can a .bak file help if it too is made during a save? Wouldn't it also be corrupt?

Hopefully one is saving fairly regularly as they work so that if the 'spurious' error occurs there will be a recent version with a good portion of the drawing intact.

Also, the change to .bak happens very quickly and the error would most likely happen during the save of the newer version.

Alex also mentioned:
    Perhaps if Xtreme is overwriting a file, Xtreme should rename the old one to ".bak" or similar.
    The ability to make a .bak is there, it just needs to be switched on.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDB View Post
    I looked and looked for an address to send it to - and just wound up here ;-)
    The link you want is here:

http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...articleid=2494

And to submit a ticket is on the front of support.xara.com

Thanks
    Antony
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    The ability to make a .bak is there, it just needs to be switched on.
    You learn something new every day. I would have thought that one should make the options dialog if (as I suspect) file corruption on save is the root cause of this problem.

Alex

Bill, I just went and changed the value to 1 and opened Xara, made a quick sketch, and saved it. I then went to the Open option, All Files, and all I see is my .xar file. Where is the .bak file?