Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up I'm just bein' sociable

Like myself some of you probably received a warning about off-topic chat.

I have a forum which is doing nothing.

Where folks can chat and have fun without any problems.

I hesitated before posting this as it may be seen as 'poaching' - it isn't.

"Talk Graphics" is probably the most useful forum for graphics folks ever and for the reasons as stated by Risto 'tis right that things should be kept on topic.

I offer the forum facility as an accessory - NOT in competition in anyway whatsoever with the TG forum which I whole heartedly support.

Such a forum is needed, I think, judging from messages I have received.
    After spending hours on an illustration one often sits back and feels a sort of anti-climax and needs to unwind with a bit of frivolity.

This forum is not the place for sillyness and over-a-cup-of-coffee random chat.

The url: http://www.intbel.com/forum

Incidentally, I have nothing to gain from this other than the facility itself.
    I'm just bein' sociable.
    IP

Default Re: I'm just bein' sociable

Thank you for your offer, but there is already a forum for that purpose which requires no further registration or even going away from TalkGraphics. It's called the off-topic chat forum.

I know for a fact that you were not asked to not discuss anything off-topic, you were merely not asked to do so excessively in threads of other topics. There is a difference between talking off-topic and taking someone else's thread off-topic. The former is fine, the latter is not.

So I'm sorry that you feel TalkGraphics doesn't allow you the flexibility to discuss things as you wish, even with the off-topic forum But your posting habits caused concern amongst the moderators, and the decision to private message you was taken (and the oddity of telling people they are being too friendly is not lost on us, and it was not an easy decision). But it was our hope you'd see what we were trying to achieve, and that is why the message was sent privately.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    IP

I thought you guys were adapting fine when you continued the topic of Ginkgo on the OT-board. Though I can imagine that it's hard if a thread is going off topic and you're supposed to say something like "we'll continue the discussion in the OT board".
    I can imagine it's similar to being in some kind of official meeting and when the discussion starts getting lighter and off-topic, everyone decides to exit the conference room to the cafeteria to continue the chat. It kinda takes away the mood and motivation to continue...if you can follow me there
    For the same reason, I think it's even a bigger obstacle if the users were to continue the chat in a whole different forum, but I'm not here to stop anyone to register at your forum

I think Antony means you can post an off-topic message in a thread, but you're not allowed to hijack entire threads. See Thread hijacking
    IP

We can split topics too, so if users or moderators feel a thread split is require it can be transported to another forum. So if anyone ever wants this, please PM a mod of that forum.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    IP

I have no probs at all with TG or the way in which it is managed.
    The problem is my natural ebullience which takes some willpower to control at times.

Sometimes one has an automatic reaction to a post and that reaction may not be appropriate. 'Tis at these times I need to exercise control.

Generally I solve more problems than I make ... mind you, most problems I experience are of my own making.

In addition I have never taken life very seriously and I tend to forget, at times, others have not a similar outlook.

From now on I'll count to ten before clicking the 'submit' button ...
    IP

I too got one of those PMs.

Unlike you, intbel, I was and still am highly insulted.
    IP

From now on I'll count to ten before clicking the 'submit' button ...
    Party Pooper! There's a bunch of us that keep loosing ourselfs in the threads but the moderators have said they will split these when we get too bad....fair enough. But it's the spontontanity and humour that I enjoy so much on the forum. Yes, people come in and ask questions and we should all be trying to help these people, but a lot of "newbies" are asking the same question over and over again, instead of playing with the program, reading the help and watching the movies and it gets a bit repetitous (?). The good questions come from experience users running into a problem or looking for a solution and that's where I learn the most.

And diverting on a thread sometimes works out really good. On Nancy's thread "Vase", Egg posted a xara file of a vase with a blend that I downloaded and took apart, tried to duplicate and posted my poor results. Egg wrote back explaining what I did wrong but he also started creating his most excellent tutorial movies, the first one explaing how to create the blend. "EGG" the movies star owes his career to a small diversion and I think we are all better off for it. I think you and I have a very similar outlook on life and where I am trying to be good, "really, I am", I'm afraid Risto and Anthony and the others are going to have thier work cut out for them. I may be silly at times but at least I'm not mean or snot ass and I do not try to embarass, demean or put down any other members, not deliberatly anyhow. Keep on posting cause I really enjoy your work and have even learnt from you, if you call burning you learning (again, my warped sense of humour)........frank
    .............frank
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    I too got one of those PMs.

I am most surprised to see that Bob. I know nobody is above the law as it were but when one thinks of all the contributions and IMO one of the longest and most interesting/successful threads by you, they might have sent you a gold medal as well, no wonder you feel hurt, never mind the gang still love you and your work. I am sure the PM was couched in diplomatic terms and nothing personal but we artists? are such sensitive people (Just Kidding).

'''''''''''Norman
    IP

thanks norm, you are such a nice man
    IP

Sorry Bob, I guess we posted at the same time. I guess I'd rather take a small reprimand than get my mouth (or should I say mouse) washed out with soap so I really do try to watch my language. If we are not careful we may end up grouped as a renegade gang called "a bunch of silly old men". And if worse comes to worse, I'm rather partial to the brand "Sun Light". Why do you think I'm so good a drawing bubbles now?...........frank
    .............frank
    IP