Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Access violation when exporting GIF

Hi,

Every time I try to save a gif animation file I get "access violation @ offset 0X003B82DC". Xara then closes and I lose all my work. It just dumped a 90 frame animation for me. A bit counter-productive, to say the least.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Art.

[AF- Title edited to be something helpful]
    Last edited by AntonyF; 13 July 2006 at 06:25 AM.

Default Re: Xara Extreme won't save work.

GIF animations on their own can be a bit resource heavy. If you have a lot of complex graphics and movement there can be some increased tapping of your system's resource.

I would save the xar file often.

I have gotten the access violation message before and it dumped the program (crashed it) while doing GIF animation. Of course, I get lock ups in other GIF animators too when the system resource goes beyond the intended design of the program. Like when I try to edit a video overlay in "Animation Shop" that is of very large size, the program will simply freeze up.

The thing to remember is not make the file size too large when doing GIFs. It may be better to split it up and combine them later.

Thanks James. It was an animated overlay on a photograph, so I suppose it must have been the file size that freaked the computer out now that you mention it. I'll try frequent saves, as you suggest, hopefully that will solve the problem.

Art

No, it wasn't that! It's the program that's faulty. I tried to save three frames of an animated gif and the fault recurred. The frames are less than 800Kb apiece. I can manipulate graphics files of 494 Megs in other programs, so its not the memory, graphics card or processor.

Any other suggestions?

Art.

Are you sure you mean 800kb a piece???

That is about 0.8mb in size. That is one huge graphic per frame.

Normally, a whole animated GIF file is seldom more than 100kb in size. If you are using greater than 100kb per frame, you may be overwhelming the resources avaible.

Size (Width X Height) affects memory and file size. You might want to consider reducing the size of the graphic and use zoom to put in detail.

Xtreme should be able to handle seriously large animations. Do you have a Xar file that simply opening and trying to export an animated GIF always crashes? If so, or if you can reproduce the crash reasonably easily then can you post the Xar file here and also details of what options you are using (and any other steps that might be necessary to reproduce it).

Gerry Iles

I don't really understand why 800kb is considered large. I am animating over a photograph for publication on a DVD. The art gallery that authorised the use of the photo of one of their paintings has very strict guidelines regarding the reproduction quality and I am on the lower limit at 800kb. I'll eventually convert the animation to an .avi format. In the meantime , would it help if I saved as .png?

Art

Hi Gerry,

The art gallery have strictly forbidden publishing anything on the web. If you can give me an email address, I'll email it. I might be a little paranoid about this but I have too much time and money invested in the project to put any part of it in jeopardy. Alternatively I could build a similar file using a different photo.

Art