Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: MacOS X building instructions

I'm building for ppc
    IP

David: That is a good catch, but it is possible that Michael is is building on PPC and has PPC wxWidgets libraries which won't (obviously) link with i386 object files, rather than the other way round.

Michael: You might want to look at Re: Mac version and scroll down to the bit about "compiling several hundred MB of useless i386 object files".

I do have a suggestion here, but it is a little more elaborate than you actually need, because I am looking for a volunteer to test it. If you are happy to help, here goes (if not, post again and I will try to simplify it a bit).

I want to avoid any suggestion of significantly modifying any part of the provided XCode project.

1. Open the main configuration page by clicking on the Xaralx icon at the top of the 'Files' pane and pressing Cmd-I (or clicking the toolbar Info icon).
    2. Check the 'General' tab. You must have "Mac OS X 10.4 Universal" selected in the Cross develop using: pop-up
    3. Go to the 'Build' tab. There should be two configurations "Development" and "Deployment". Use the "Edit Configurations" item to duplicate "Development" as "Personal" (You might be able to see where this is going).
    4. Now edit the "Personal" configuration

1. Delete the architecture setting. XCode should re-create it as NATIVE_ARCH, shown to you as ppc.
      2. Check that the SDK path is 10.4u
      3. Set the Debug Information Format to DWARF
      4. Check that the C dialects to precompile is blank (or you will get errors trying to pre-compile the wx headers which contain C++ code)
      5. You might want to put the optimisation level to Os, which is needed for some warnings
      6. I doubt that it makes a difference at this stage, but you probably want the Instruction scheduling to be set to PPC and G4 (or whatever CPU you are using)
    5. Check that XCode hasn't added any flags or settings at the bottom of this list - delete them if there are any. Obviously as these are your own settings, for an executable to run on your specific system you can (and should) tailor them as closely as you want to your set-up and what you propose doing with your compiled XaraLX.

Now build. You might have to check the search paths in the wxXtra target. I have

../wxMac-2.6.3/osx-build/lib/wx/include/mac-unicode-debug-static-2.6 /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/libxml2/ ../wxMac-2.6.3/include ../wxMac-2.6.3/src/png ../wxMac-2.6.3/src/jpeg

which you should be able to paste in. And for reference my "Preprocessor Macros" in the target settings window are:

NO_GCC_PRAGMA __WXMAC__ wxUSE_BASE=1 _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 _LARGE_FILES __WXMAC_XCODE__=1 WX_PRECOMP=1 MACOS_CLASSIC EXCLUDE_FROM_XARALX __WXDEBUG__=1 USE_NATIVE_XLONG VECTOR_STROKING BUILDSHADOWS OLD_MATRIX_TRANSFORMATIONS NEW_SHADOW_RENDER NO_XARACMS NEW_FEATURES SHOWPORTNOTE _UNICODE UNICODE wxUSE_UNICODE DO_EXPORT USE_STATIC_VERSION _DEBUG

without the _DEBUG you get far less TRACE output.

Whilst it takes several hours, I can build on a medium speed G4 with 500MB of memory, but more memory would help.

Ben
    IP

Thanks, following those instructions I got it to build - I now have an application running (under the build and debug command in xcode) that seems to freeze pretty much anytim I try and do anything.

I tried to load a document and that hung, I tried to draw a quickshape and that hung to.

If there is anything I can report then let me know - but try to keep it in simple terms because I don't know anything about developing on a Mac but I would love to do anything I can to help bring my favourite drawing tool to the mac.
    IP

There a patch described on the mailing list

http://www.xaraxtreme.org/maillists/.../msg00010.html

It should allow you do do a fair bit more. For me it make lots of the drawing stuff work, although the draw view goes yellow on black, probably a byte reversal issue. Since I'n on an Intel Mac and you're on a PPC you might not get that.

Dave
    IP