Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: MacOS X building instructions

Quote Originally Posted by abligh View Post
    The size is probably debugging symbols. Mine is "only" 147Mb.

In order to execute it successfully, you need to put it into a MacOS "bundle". I think this is pretty easy (some sort of mkdir with permissions and a copy). I'm not sure of the details, but I think it's something like this:
    mkdir -p XaraLX.app/Contents/MacOS
    cp xaralx XaraLX.app/Contents/MacOS

then
    open XaraLX.app
    Three steps forward, one(?) step back.

Now that I understand what a bundle is ... it turns out the build automatically creates a folder XaraLX.app and associated subdirectories in the build directory. So all I had to do is mv the executable to ~/XaraLX/XaraLX.app/Contents/MacOS. I then used finder to open it, and voila ... it started up with a normal GUI. Initially it complained about something with fonts and then about not having ImageMagick 6.0, but these seemed not to be fatal errors.

But then disaster .. I simply clicked on the drawing window, and the program complained about a "very serious error" and said that it would have to close. Fortunately, it gave me the opportunity to generate an error report, which I have attached here.

(you can, BTW, build wx for gtk if you install gtk on the Mac. Xtreme should then build fine but you will have a gtk interface not a Mac interface which is not what you want I presume...).

Alex
    I'm too new to Macs to have any interface loyalty .. and i have no idea what the gtk interface is like. My prior experience is primarily with the Windows GUI and the Unix command line. If I continue to have problems getting a working Mac interface, I might like to take a look at the gtk version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP