Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: MacOS X building instructions

For the avoidance of doubt, and again, I am not suggesting this is a part of getting the solution to this problem (though it might be), could you state which version of the GNU gettest tools you have, and if you wish, whether there have been any problems running autopoint.

Ben
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by BPFowler
    For the avoidance of doubt, and again, I am not suggesting this is a part of getting the solution to this problem (though it might be), could you state which version of the GNU gettest tools you have, and if you wish, whether there have been any problems running autopoint.

Ben
    Ben, I'm not sure if you mean gettext or gettest. Of the latter I can find no evidence so I'm going to assume the former (please accept my appologies in advance of being a silly newbie) ...

flagged status name installed version binary category summary
    NO current gettext 0.10.40-19 0.10.40-19 0.10.40-19 base Message localization support
    NO current gettext-bin 0.10.40-19 0.10.40-19 0.10.40-19 base Executables for gettext package
    NO current gettext-dev 0.10.40-19 0.10.40-19 0.10.40-19 base Developer files for gettext package
    NO current gettext-tools 0.10.40-19 0.10.40-19 0.10.40-19 base Developer executables for gettext package

I'm afraid that being a newbie I will not have encountered autopoint problems; is there something you would like me to run to test?

Kind regards,

Simon
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Young
    Ben, I'm not sure if you mean gettext or gettest.
    It is gettext.

I was under the impression that autopoint was part of recent version of gettext, but it seems that that the fink version of gettext is recent enough for us, but does not have autopoint which we need.

If practical, you may want to remove the fink gettext and install the latest GNU gettext
    from source.

Ben.

(P.S. the forum software ate the first edition of this post and I have re-typed it from memory, so I am sorry if it does not reach my usual standards, which are not that high anyway)!
    IP

I being a little speculative here, but I am leaning towards the idea I expressed above: The fink gettext package's not providing autopoint. Whilst this is arguably fink's bug, I do suggest removing the fink gettext and installing the latest GNU gettext.

If this is too fiddly, please post again and I will think about it. Ideally, we need to recruit a fink dev to this team or find some way of doing without autopoint.

Ben
    IP

Exclamation Re: MacOS X building instructions

The gettext step is where i'm getting stuck. I have Mac OS 10.4.6 (PowerPC), using XCode 2.2.1. Here is what I'm seeing:

1. autoreconf fails with this:

Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `../build-aux'.
    Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `../../build-aux'.
    autoreconf: configure.ac: AM_GNU_GETTEXT is used, but not AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION
    lib/Makefile.am:57: required file `lib/strtol.c' not found
    lib/Makefile.am:118: required file `lib/strdup.c' not found
    lib/Makefile.am:118: required file `lib/regex.c' not found
    lib/Makefile.am:118: required file `lib/memchr.c' not found
    /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/compile.am: DEFS was set with `+=' and is now set with `='

2. so i try ./configure and make (as in the gettext INSTALL)
    3. configure works, but make fails with this:

gcc -dynamiclib -o .libs/libintl.3.4.3 .libs/bindtextdom.o .libs/dcgettext.o .libs/dgettext.o .libs/gettext.o .libs/finddomain.o .libs/loadmsgcat.o .libs/localealias.o .libs/textdomain.o .libs/l10nflist.o .libs/explodename.o .libs/dcigettext.o .libs/dcngettext.o .libs/dngettext.o .libs/ngettext.o .libs/plural.o .libs/plural-exp.o .libs/localcharset.o .libs/relocatable.o .libs/langprefs.o .libs/localename.o .libs/log.o .libs/printf.o .libs/osdep.o .libs/intl-compat.o /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib -lc -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation -install_name /usr/local/lib/libintl.3 -compatibility_version 8 -current_version 8.3
    ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _locale_charset
    .libs/localcharset.o definition of _locale_charset in section (__TEXT,__text)
    /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
    (cd .libs && rm -f libintl.3 && ln -s libintl.3.4.3 libintl.3)
    (cd .libs && rm -f libintl && ln -s libintl.3.4.3 libintl)
    ar cru .libs/libintl.a bindtextdom.o dcgettext.o dgettext.o gettext.o finddomain.o loadmsgcat.o localealias.o textdomain.o l10nflist.o explodename.o dcigettext.o dcngettext.o dngettext.o ngettext.o plural.o plural-exp.o localcharset.o relocatable.o langprefs.o localename.o log.o printf.o osdep.o intl-compat.o~ranlib .libs/libintl.a
    ar: intl-compat.o~ranlib: No such file or directory
    make[3]: *** [libintl.la] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I'm what you'd call "lost" at this point, any help would be appreciated.
    IP

Is there some sort of typo or glitch in your Makefile?

The odds are that you need automake 1.9 not 1.6, but I can't be sure at this distance.

Your probably need to clean you build directory and start from untar'ing the gettext source tarball.

Post again if you think that I am on the wrong lines.

Ben
    IP

Ok, I switched to automake 1.9 -- and I get messages saying that the automake config was made with 1.6 and run aclocal to fix. Which does nothing.

This gettext piece is by far the most frustrating build I've encountered, this automake and autoreconf crapola is infuriatingly "too smart for its own good" (or mine, it would seem).

I'll wait for an OSX binary disto to start testing XaraLX, sorry folks.
    IP