Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

I only just managed to view these strange things and have had a lot of cross eyed fun viewing them.
    I thought I'd have a go at an animated version.
    You can view it here

A word of warning. It's quite processor hungry so don't leave it running after viewing it.

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

OK, let's see how this goes. I'm not entirely sure the result is true 3D, but it seems OK. Crossed-eyes technique to view, ie look at one engine, then cross the eyes. That will cause images to move towards each other. When they properly overlap, the middle one will hopefully be in 3D.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine_Gram.gif 
Views:	397 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	18181  

really really really cool Egg.
    I just love these things, first time I've seen one in motion. GREAT JOB!
    tim

I like the second one the most.

Mike, you got a point here. I can't make out what it is. The moving pattern is too distracting. Maybe it's because of the jerky nature of gif animation, specially for relatively large pictures? Flash gives smoother transition. But compensating for the moving pattern could be a harder challenge. Random dots could be the only way to display such things. Now we just need somebody to come up with a way to extract the depth image from two cameras and create live motion animated stereographs. Then we'd all go blind trying to watch a movie made entirely with it. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Cheers Mickie
    Here was my first attempt, when I wasn't to worried about file size. It may take some time to download, but I think its a better sterogram.
    HERE
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Wowee, adding animation gives a new "dimension" to the stereogram. Great fun. I agree, the second one has a sharper hidden image.
    Just a thought... would it be possible to do a fixed pattern but a moving 3d depth image? I mean, you look at the pic and it looks relatively stationary, but if you focus in on the 3d image, the hidden image is animated. Could it be done?

Meanwhile,
    This has nothing to do with stereograms (other than I was using these figures to create one but it didn't work out). The group below are based on a L.S.Lowry painting.

L.S.Lowry was a painter of English working class scenes. He used a Matchstick man approach but his paintings of the industrial landscape of the North of England are greatly loved and capture a bygone era perfectly.

LINK HERE

Name:	!1a_background_attribute2.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	2408  
    Egg

Mike - If you modifiy the rotation of the image on the right, rotate it away about 5 degrees, you should get a real 3D effect.

Gary

Gary, I have made the amendment you suggested. The right hand engine is now sitting at 50 degrees from flat on. The left hand engine is still 52 degrees from flat on, so both engines are now very close to the same orientation. The converged engine will still be seen to float up from the background, and would do so even if both sides had the same orientation, but will show less 3D in itself, which is what I was trying to acheive.

Mike

Name:	Engine_Gram_with_denim_2.gif 
Views:	347 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	627  

What fun Egg. Great job! I've never seen an animated Stereogram before. It will be interesting to see how the stereogram challenged people in the forum react.

Mickie