Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: named colours

Hybrid View

Default Re: named colours

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    Question: I now know what Named Colors and Shades are, but what's the diffference between them and Linked Colors or Tints (not to mention spot colors). I could read the Help files, but thought this might be something others might be curious about too. And... since you have such a great way with explaining stuff, I am asking you.
    Named colours you know about.

Shades and Tints are both special cases of linked colours. A shade (as you know) has the same fundamental hue as its parent, but lets you alter its saturation and its "value" (brightness) - they can be both increased and decreased. A tint effectively only lets you make the colour less saturated (as if it was an ink you were diluting). "Linked to another colour" lets you inherit a specific set of components from the parent colour. The rules are fundamentally similar but change the way the colour changes when you change the parent.

Alex

Thanks abligh. I'm still a little vague about the linked ones.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    Thanks abligh. I'm still a little vague about the linked ones.
    Why didn't you test it? Go ahead and try it. Practice is the best teacher, Bob.

OK, just did that. The TINT of another color is fantastic. It is an easy way to make new colors from the base color and to change just one aspect of the color with affecting others. Thanks abligh for encouraging me to do this.
    Last edited by -=Drifter=-; 16 September 2006 at 04:04 PM.

When I change the base color to see my entire drawing with all its shadows and reflections change colors with the base color it is amazing - and it works just fine. However, if I grab the color cursor and change the hue - there are some of my shadows/reflections that do NOT change, while the rest of the pic does. ALL of them are shades of the base, as evidenced by the fact that they all change colors... but not all change with the hue. Why is that? Have I done something wrong?
    I just noticed that the spots that do not change with the hue change all have one thing in common in the color editor box: they all say a high percentage of negative shade, from -50% to -99%. The ones that do change all seem lower. Any relationship to this situation?
    Last edited by -=Drifter=-; 16 September 2006 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Just noticed something