Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Will the OS X build require X11?

Quote Originally Posted by jedfrechette
    Why do you say that?
    There are many reasons. For example, the average home user will never need a remote desktop, so why use a system that is built especially for that functionality? As it was explained to me, because it is built around that functionality, the client desktop (ie. the one you see) basically can't do a single thing by itself, but needs to pass every click, every redraw and every window movement to the server, which is costly and unwanted by someone using a media intense application.

I mean, for crying out loud, 3D graphics accelerators weren't even invented when X11 was created, and today, the OS X desktop is entirely drawn using OpenGL!

Thank you for your post, Mr. Moir. I am looking forward to be able to test LX on my Macbook in the future!
    Art should tell a story. Don't paint a moment, paint a lifetime.
    IP

I think a native fully easy install XaraLX will be possible in the future.
    maybe Like gimp.app or maybe like gimp on windows ( GTK is installed by a setup and then gimp can be installed ). Well if it did not change, i switched some years ago.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by eobet
    There are many reasons. For example, the average home user will never need a remote desktop, so why use a system that is built especially for that functionality? As it was explained to me, because it is built around that functionality, the client desktop (ie. the one you see) basically can't do a single thing by itself, but needs to pass every click, every redraw and every window movement to the server, which is costly and unwanted by someone using a media intense application.
    I am not sure that this argument is entirely correct. According to Wikipedia modern versions of OS X and Windows have similar subsystem seperation and the performance hit is minimal.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11

Quote Originally Posted by eobet
    I mean, for crying out loud, 3D graphics accelerators weren't even invented when X11 was created, and today, the OS X desktop is entirely drawn using OpenGL!
    Considering that Xara is an outgrowth of Artworks a program that is only 4 years younger than X11 I like to think of both programs as being mature. As far as hardware acceleration goes an OpenGL X11 desktop will be here in the not to distant future http://www.novell.com/linux/xglrelease/.

I agree with you that having Xara independent of X11 on OS X is a good thing. However, this is largely due to the lack of integration between X11 and the rest of the OS X desktop rather than any fundamental failings of X11. This is one of my main gripes with OS X, that and the lack of builtin virtual desktops. I bet you can guess which OS I migrated from.
    IP