Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Printing CMYK

Default Re: Printing CMYK

LOL! I thought you was spanish hehe I have a good friend of mine from Frankfurt he is a very nice guy as well.

Ok, white rectangle or any color I need as background right? Ok I did but the result scare me I'm doing exaclty what you said, step by step and instead of read or a light red as your example I get a bloody red.

what I'm trying to understand with all this is which is the best way to work with an artwork that I know that will be printed. Should I do everything and then switch to simulated printing color and then fixed the screen color to make them crispy? Or should I work with the CMYK template just choosing colors from the color line?

There is no way to work normally and then with some application converted so in the print get the original colors?

Thank you!

R2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	23286  

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

r-tie,

there is something wrong. Normally your orange color should be a bit lighter in CMYK, but definitely not dark red...

The 'bloody red' as you name it is correct - a printed red is less intensive compared to the RGB on screen. Reason: the print colors don't cover the 'extended range' or gamut as the colors on screen.

In RGB colorspace the red has a value of
    R=255 (or 100%)
    G=0 (or 0%)
    B=0 (or 0%)
    In CMYK colorspace the red has a value of
    C=0 (or 0%)
    M=255 (or 100%)
    Y=255 (or 100%)
    K=0 (or 0%)

There is no difference in the color display on screen, whether you use RGB or CMYK. Both colors appear to be identical in the standard display mode or the 'simulate CMYK' mode.

Your colors feature a weird shift - too far from the original, and I really don't have an idea for the reason.

Anybody else lurking here with a solution or a hint?
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Oh God, I knew it... thank you Jens for your help, hopefully I'm in my office and here it's just the free to try software, at home I will do the main test and I will see how bad it's my monitor calibration.

Thank you so much for your time and for your last explanation (which sounds a bit complicated for me)

R2

Welocme R-Tie,
    I am no expert but here is my two cents worth. I Use CorelDraw and XaraX1 Xtreme and have used a Viewsonic monitor and now using Nec LCD and find that calibrating monitor in my situation messes everything up< oh and a GEforce5600 graphics board, I use the default sRGB profile and turn off any kind of color matching within the programs. and have no problems with color exporting graphics or photos
    Jim.

Remember in Xara CMYK values are expressed as % (percentages); whereas, RMK values as integers from 0 -255. If you are manually entering values (not using the eye dropper), then things could get confused.

Perhaps you did not change to the proper color unit.
    Utilities > Options > Units (CTRL+SHIFT+O > Units)?

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

John, what I don't understand: you can't assign a larger value than 255 or 100%, so if you have assigned i.e. red R=255 or M=255 plus Y=255 it will be identical to R=100% or M=100% plus Y=100%.

Or did I miss something with my old brain?
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi Everybody,

I tested my home computer and the result was exactly the same Now I have a lot of questions in my head... I don't want to use templates to create my artworks, but also I don't want to mess my work with something that it's not in my hand to fixed.

Question: If I'm using the CMYK template and the color editor with CMYK color model in 3D, then finishing my work, should I saved my file in TIFF CMYK or it's enough with PNG with 300 DPI?

Question: What it's the sense of the tool "simulate print color"? If I used that tool all the colors change, and of course I don't want to print with lighter colors of what I choose first, what am I supposed to do? change all the color while I'm using the tool trying to get my original colors?

Question: Why if the problem it's my monitor when I use export to CMYK TIFF all of you can see the horrible colors I get?

There it's something I'm missing? in the CMYK template all the colors looks lighters and when I export with CMYK TIFF all the colors turns darkers except the black (obviously)

Should I get back to the AAA software to create my logos?

Thank you so much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CMYK(edited).JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	23312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simulate(edited).JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	23313  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simulate 2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	23314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CMYK.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	23315  

hi,

sadly xara works more towards web and rgb design.

if you want to work in cmyk without workarounds just use illustrator, freehand or corel draw.

on the other hand xara is the easiest to use and fastest tool with the highest usage fun factor :b

i do lots of work arounds to use it and often think of just using illustrator instead

bb,

FLy

Hi Fly,

Thank you for give me a sincere answer... I thought that I found the software of my dreams and it's not... I read here something about the "adobe freaks" and I think I will be one of them... AI it's not friendly at all, but I have no chance.

Once again thank you,
    R2

PS: Nice Avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLySOLO
    hi,

sadly xara works more towards web and rgb design.

I do lots of work arounds to use it and often think of just using illustrator instead

bb,

FLy

Jens:

What I was getting at is that if someone was given a number of, say 55, and not told the correct color unit, it may cause confusion. Xara lets you assgn % or integer in the Color Editor for RGB. Granted the % sign shows up in the Color Editor dialog, but to a complete newbie to color or graphic apps it may not mean didly-squat ... all they would recognize is the number 55 and then wonder why things don't come out as expected.
    Last edited by jclements; 31 January 2006 at 08:43 PM.