Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: zoom to drawing

Default zoom to drawing

I don't know if anyone else has seen this or if it's just me, but shouldn't 'zoom to drawing' do just that and zoom to show all objects in the current drawing? At the moment when I zoom to drawing it zooms out so that the A4 landscape page becomes about the size of a playing card in the centre of the screen, I'm certain X1 did not do that.
    If there were stray forgotten objects outside the drawing it would zoom to encompass those objects, which is what I assumed was happening here but I can find no invisible objects outside the drawing(s) I have checked.
    Bug?

Derek

Default Re: zoom to drawing

I'm having a similar, though not so extreme, issue. I have X1 running and have just downloaded the Xtreme demo, so am running the two alongside each other.

If I open the same drawing in both packages and click 'Zoom to Drawing', X1 does just that - leaves a few mm of space around the drawing, whilst Xtreme zooms out to show almost the whole page. And this is *exactly* the same, unedited, file. My guess is that there's a bug somewhere in Xtreme.

Phil

I have found that with most versions of xara, that if you have a stray object or a bitmap fill zooming to objects will show you the control handles size... I just tested several files and worked fine for me.

I think that well might be the answer. Drew a vector object and it zoomed to drawing as I would have expected, so thats alright then.
    Derek

Another Method:

Assuming all layers are editable and viewable:

1. Ctrl+A (Select All)
    2. Zoom Tool >> then in the Info Bar click on Zoom to Selection

If you do have any files that behave oddly with zoom to drawing and you can't find any reasonable explanation involving objects off the page then please either post them here (or send me a PM).

One possible explanation is that there is a "bad" object in the document that doesn't actually have anything visible on screen. This may cause the zoom to drawing code to include the origin point (the bottom left of the true pasteboard area rather than the page) in the bounds of the drawing.

Gerry Iles

Text on a path, until converted to editable shapes, will do this as well.

I am not sure why this is, but if you create text on a circle and select the circle, or press Zoom to Drawing, the selection size is quite large.

Convert the text to editable shapes and the selection area is more what you would expect.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selection.gif 
Views:	212 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	21422  

Hey Gary,

You should try that test with a clone of the text that you wrapped. It appears that it is holding the width of the original text as the bounds.