Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: help please - moving 1 vertice changes shape!??

Yes, copy just the problem line to the clipboard & paste it to a new page. Using Graham & Anders solutions, If you breakShapes, then select all you'll notice that it's 3 lines. Only the Cats head can be seen but you can see the selection blobs around the other lines. They both appear to be lines of zero length. Even if you apply a 999Pt line width to them you can't see them. I also confirm that Anders workaround does the trick.

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

rpc9943: I have the same problem _very_ often after importing .ai files from illustrator. Moving (not adding and not changing the bezier curve, simply moving a point) changes the entire shape. I just had the same trouble today, but i don't post these (and other problems) because i'm simply too lazy.

My solution: select on the trouble point, change it from "Smooth Join" to "Cusp Join" and reshape the line - yes its trouble and annoying.
    But even this solution doesn't work always, like my trouble shape today (I can't post it here because its a client's work).

If anyone has a solution or a trick, that would be gladly appreciated.

Anders 205:
    Sorry i read you solution too late before posting my last post. I have to try this tomorrow with my troubleshape and let you know.

'Breaking Shape' from a line object - would never have guessed! That's a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Nostaw
    I have to try this tomorrow with my troubleshape
    Yes please, let us know how it works out at your end. Tip: If break shapes, by any chance in your case, is greyed out in your main menu when selecting line/shape in your particular art work (and having deform troubles as talked about in this thread), go directly to combine shapes–add shapes > select shape editor tool and edit your line/shape without deformation. I have tested this with bitmaps vectorized in good ol' Vector Eye, saved as EPS CMYK, and imported in Xara X¹ and Xara Xtreme. Combine shapes–add shapes was sufficient to correct deformation problems when editing line/shape.

Rgds/Anders
    Last edited by Anders 205; 24 October 2005 at 12:37 PM.

Anders, thanks for your observations.

In the past I have had huge problems with importing DXF/DWG files in other apps due to what I think is their import filters or the export filters of the originating source. Imported lines were natorious for having an extra end-point on top of another.

I think most of these filter issues have been resolved in some apps.

I was wondering if you have method which would work with mulitple selected lines or at least multiple selected lines which don't touch one another at their end-points.

You are most welcome, I'm sure.

I do not have personal experience with AutoCAD, DWG, DWX and DWF. I'm afraid I can't comment on this file family.

Are you referring to editing multible selected lines in Xara X¹ & Xara Xtreme or any other particular application? Reading your query it appears to be a common art work task. Are you able to visualize the concept with a simple sample focusing on a specific problem?

Anders.

hey actually i think i can recall now i tried to import a really screwed up shape from realdraw pro... thats got to be why.

sorry

RonC

Anders 205: I tried your method today on my troubleshape, which ends up as a big confusing mess - because its a shape containing about 150 joined shapes, 'Breaking Shapes' brings up all the shapes seperatly - putting these together again would take too much time. Its a highly detailed drawn ornament, which looks similar to this:

http://www.the-wood.com/photos/patte...rnament-34.jpg (would be 1 entire shape in XaraExtreme)

Just imagine, by moving a vertice changes the entire shape (as the initial thread's problem), so the only thing i can to with it in XaraExtreme is moving it.

A 'clean shape' function would be nice...

See your dilemma Nostaw. Just let me try something with a similar design. Meanwhile, you can't think of retouching the shapes as a bitmap?

Anders

Hi again Nostaw. I did a little something with your jpg from your attachment. See if this would be a workable new situation. Open and save the file ornament34.xar

You do have to do combine shapes-add shapes on each shape which you are supposed to edit. If this is workable in the way I have made the file, it can be done with your problem file as well. Please let me know.

Anders.