Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] How can I remove an all white background from one tiff image, to sellect just the object to paste onto another tiff image in xara-x. Every attempt so far includes the white background. I haven't been able to find any info in the help files on this.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] How can I remove an all white background from one tiff image, to sellect just the object to paste onto another tiff image in xara-x. Every attempt so far includes the white background. I haven't been able to find any info in the help files on this.

Welcome to the world of Xara.

You might try applying a Stained Glass, Mix Transparency, amount 0%. Stained Glass transparency treats while as invisible. Bleach transparency treats black as invisible.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

Gary, Thanks that did the trick. However it selects the white reflections in the image also, letting the background come through inside the image where its not wanted. I'm trying to seperate the images so that when I save this to Illistrator, the printer can use a fith color for that image.

[This message was edited by Sammy on May 19, 2001 at 08:46.]

open tiff in photoshop, convert background layer (with double click on it (in layer pallete - F7))
    in layer 0 - erase all that you don't want in your image, and then just "save as" like *.PNG.
    Import PNG in your Xara file - work fine, and precise [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

minimiro... This is a cool tip!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Gary, Thanks that did the trick. However it selects the white reflections in the image also, letting the background come through inside the image where its not wanted. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This might be a little labor intensive, but if you do not have too many highlights, make some white shapes about the size of the highlight area, and then place them between the TIFF and your background image. Place the white shapes over the highlight areas, then bring the TIFF image to the front (Ctrl F).

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

Whichever your background may be, you can do as follows:

1/ Open your TIFF
    2/ Draw the outline of the object you want
    3/ Select both
    4/ Combine shapes>Intersect shapes

Depending on which you created first, you may have to put the shape to the back (under the bitmap. never mind if it's invisible)

A quick example:

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intersect.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	17874  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Sammy - I frequently use the technique Erik notes. With it you could, for instance, "cut" out the bird in his image. What you are doing is creating a shape who's outline corresponds with part of its own bitmap fill. That shape can then be overlayed on any other bitmap or drawn objects within Xara. The program even allows you to interactively feather it to the background.

If you want to export the trimmed shape, I'd try a png with alpha transparency providing the other application supports it.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>