Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hey, Ross--

These knots are really fun, theraputic even, to create! But i found a second site, other than what you posted. To keep the record straight,

http://www.abbott.demon.co.uk/knots.html

will take you to download the Knot 3D program, while

knottyer3dsetup.exe is a more complicated, more hands-on application.

http://www.abbott.demon.co.uk/knottyer3d.html

While Pretzangles is even a third in the visually complex, fun series of intertwining 3D stuff.

http://www.pretzangles.com/

BTW, you need to load the knots in a program other than Knots 3D to separate out the strands and put dirrent textures on 'em . This is quite easy. I loaded for example knots.dxf, an export, in E3D and then separated out the strands on different layers.

My Best,

Gare

Gary David Bouton
    The GaryWorld Gallery is up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	celtic_knot2.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	8152  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Here's a very poor example of what you can do with the Pretzangles free program.

BTW, the mountain bottom of the file was created by using the KPT 5 Noiz filter and then exporting the "noise" as a DXF landscape using CyberMesh (a free program for Photoshop and Photoshop compatible programs) I rendered the file in trueSpace and the mountains sort of fade, because I used a gradient in a transparency channel (Targa files can use an alpha channel to plot bumps, transparency, and so on.

My Best,

Gary

Name:	star02.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	12754  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Thanks. I do know knots3D, and even downloaded it, but forgot about it. Seems that now it even has got some friends.

Do you know spiralizer? www.armanisoft.ch

It's freeware, and can produce some very inspiring spirals. (drag left to right on the names of the settings).
    output is DXF

These were imported in C4D7Art, given materials (the bottom one with displacement) and then rendered.
    The bottom one is called sushi.

have fun!

Name:	spirals.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	5234  

Spiralizer is FUN! Imagine creating an image of spirals, knots, and pretzels, now? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Here's the interface, and there's anapology on the site for not making a Macintosh version (the programmer is a Windows programmer). Additionally, although the site sez it's for NT2000, and Win 9x, it runs quite well under Win XP.

Gare

Name:	spiralizer.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	5108  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Yes, spiralizer is addictive. Whenever I start farting around with it, I always end up slumped down and drooling an hour later. There's too many cool combo's with this thing.

Great to see you around here again Gar! Hope all's well with everyone.

I like the knots proggie too. I haven't used it much lately. Here I reprise an old file : Gold Ring with a twist (pun intended)- I tried silver.

Regards, Wayne

Name:	ring2.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	11604  

Hi Wayne---

Nice layout and use of type, as usual. And nice reflections! It inspired me to do something that would drag my system to its knees [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

This is a reprise, too. I had designed a retro boombox but was unhappy with a rendering of it in PIXAR Showplace. And then my Mac crashed and I lost the meshes! So I painstaking recreated them last year in Windows, rendered it from trueSpace and then added real clouds and filtered them in Photoshop using the Facet filter, and added the title from PIXAR Typestry.

Common Q: Why do my renderings in truespace generally look better than the images posted on Caligari's site (no offense meant here, sincerely).
    A: People use too damned many lights! Use an infinite light with shadows turned on, and then use a cache light behind the subject with the shadows turned off. Then, and only if necessary, add a weak ambient (fill) light to bring out detail. This 17 light nonsense only flattens the image and wastes processing cycles.

My Best,

Gare

Name:	aquavox99.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	4547  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com