Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi Everyone!

I have been lurking for awhile and enjoying the graciousness displayed in your posts. Maybe someone can help me out here. TIA

Extension Mgr and Xara Webstyle 3.1

I am experiencing a type of lock-up when I try to access the remote site settings in the edit site menu.

I get a message that DreamWeaver (MX) is waiting for another program and offers a Switch To: dialogue box but the Cancel option is greyed out and it can't find the program to switch to. All I can find is that it is waiting for a program that isn't there.

My guess is that it is trying to finish installing the Xara Online Extension Mgr. but can't find the following file.

Here is what it seeks:

C:Program FilesMacromediaDreamWeaver MXConfigurationSharedXolDwExSharedsetup.exe -xolmxpinstall

After several attempts at un-installing and installing D/W MX, D/W update 6.1 and Webstyle and the extension manager, I am still locked up.

Any suggestions please? Xara tech support thinks I'm invisible..... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Hi Everyone!

I have been lurking for awhile and enjoying the graciousness displayed in your posts. Maybe someone can help me out here. TIA

Extension Mgr and Xara Webstyle 3.1

I am experiencing a type of lock-up when I try to access the remote site settings in the edit site menu.

I get a message that DreamWeaver (MX) is waiting for another program and offers a Switch To: dialogue box but the Cancel option is greyed out and it can't find the program to switch to. All I can find is that it is waiting for a program that isn't there.

My guess is that it is trying to finish installing the Xara Online Extension Mgr. but can't find the following file.

Here is what it seeks:

C:Program FilesMacromediaDreamWeaver MXConfigurationSharedXolDwExSharedsetup.exe -xolmxpinstall

After several attempts at un-installing and installing D/W MX, D/W update 6.1 and Webstyle and the extension manager, I am still locked up.

Any suggestions please? Xara tech support thinks I'm invisible..... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

It's working okay for me with DWMX 6.1 and WS3.1.

I remember having a problem in the past and I uninstalled the WS Dreamweaver extension -1Mb (via add/remove programs)

Since installing WS3.1, I see there are a two mentions of DW WS Extension - one 1Mb and the other 53Mb... very odd...

Once uninstalled, I'm sure WS3 then prompted you to download the current version again.

I see you have already tried the above though.

What happens if you make a new site and add a *new* WS3 item into it?

--
    Graeme
    Graeme

Thanks for the reply Graeme,

That's just it. At clicking on Edit Sites, D/W appears to be looking for this file:

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\DreamWeaver MX\Configuration\Shared\XolDwExShared\setup.exe -xolmxpinstall

There are no sites yet in the clean install of D/W. D/W wants to install a program that needs the shared XolDwEx~\~setup.exe and won't tell me the name of the program or resource it wants.

Here is a description of the message dialogue box:

Upper Bar says Server Busy

Yellow warning sign and it says:

” The action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose ‘Switch To” to activate the busy program and correct the problem.”

There are two buttons: One with Switch To… and the other says Retry. Neither do anything when pressed and D/W is unavailable because the process must run.
    < the process is not running in the task manager>
    < at this point task mgr is used to quit D/W>

I am totally locked me out of D/W because D/W is just installed, with nothing in it. My frustration remains. Grrrrr....Uninstalling D/W and WS and ext mgr is all that I know to do....

Hmmm.... very odd!

What happen if you completely uninstall WS3.1 then reboot, then Run DW6.1 - does it then behave normally, abeit without WS3.1?

If it doesn't behave normally, it might be worth creating a dummy site then installing WS3.1 to see what happens. If you are using XP, are you logged on as Admin or a user with *full* admin rights?

--
    Graeme
    Graeme

Thanks for sticking with me!

<What happen if you completely uninstall WS3.1 then reboot, then Run DW6.1 - does it then behave normally, abeit without WS3.1?>

Ok....did that but I can't cteate a site unless I can edit a site....?.....or can I?....remember with the fresh instal of DW there are no sites until I get into my edit sites option.

<If it doesn't behave normally, it might be worth creating a dummy site then installing WS3.1 to see what happens. If you are using XP, are you logged on as Admin or a user with *full* admin rights?>

Note: Using Win 2K and I am logged in with full priveleges. <err.....all my sites are dummy sites ...LOL... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif >

No problem http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Just to be sure - are you saying that with WS3.1 uninstalled, it still doesn't let you create a site? (Site>New Site)

I know from bitter experience that Macromedia store some of their settings in a hidden folder (Applications Data) in the user area, one level up from MyWork in XP. When Freehand 10 lost all its menus, I had to delete one of its settings folders it had hidden in the Apps Data area.

DW doesn't appear to delete its settings files when you uninstall so this may be a route to try. In XP you can prove it's the Apps Data area settings by loggin on as another user wherupon it installs all the defaults.

I'm not sure if this will help!

P.S. Interestingly on my installation, there is no XolDwExShared directory. There is a WsDwExShared though.

--
    Graeme

[This message was edited by Graeme Davidson on January 24, 2003 at 10:27.]
    Graeme

Whew

Thanks Graeme!

Hidden stuff..now we're getting somewhere!

I'll check it out and report back.

....It's late there shouldn't you be in bed? hehe http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Fingers crossed the hidden settings are to blame.

He he, not quite bedtime yet - it's 9.30pm here http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

--
    Graeme
    Graeme

Well I hope that you has a 'Super' Sunday Graeme! My head was with Oakland but my heart won this battle!

The saga continues http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

I have turned on hidden files, etc. in my system and have not found anything else by visual or search methods pertaining to Xol or the files it seems to be seeking.

I did notice that when I attempt to repair the Webstyle install it is looking for an install.exe on disk 2 that is not on my system (or won't reveal itself)

At this point I'm wondering if you have any other ideas on where to look for files that are hiding.

Any other suggestions or do you think that I should contact Macromedia? or? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif